Friday, October 18, 2013


Just a few more weeks until the paperback edition of If Hooks Could Kill and the hardcover edition of For Better or Worsted come out. I know it’s real because my editor sent me an actual copy of each book.

There is just something about seeing the books in person.

I have updated my website to show off the new books. There is an excerpt of For Better or Worsted now and photographs of the projects. I have also added a couple of free patterns for a simple knitted scarf and a simple crocheted scarf.

Now I still have to order bookmarks and then I’ll be all set.

I went to Yarnosphere last Saturday. It was the first year of the Southern California yarn show and I hope it becomes a tradition. I have gone to yarn shows all over the country and this was the first time it was local. Nancy and Cal of Custom Handweaving gave me a prime spot in their booth to set up my books. I was surprised at how many people stopped to look at them or comment that they’d read some of them. A nice number of books went home with people, too.

I’m going to the Vogue Live Knitting Show in Chicago in a couple of weeks. I’ll give more details about when and where I’ll be signing books when it gets closer. I am really looking forward to it. I love hanging out with yarn crafters.

I’m on a crochet list and one of the members said she’d gotten in over her head by promising thirty lap blankets to a nursing home. She said she’d made ten and asked if anybody would help out. Even though I’ve never made a lapghan, I offered to make one. The only stipulations were it had to be 36 x 36. I am making up my own pattern and using some of my surplus yarn. I am really enjoying making it and knowing that somewhere in Indiana it is going to be keeping someone’s legs warm. And maybe it will make them feel good to know that someone made it for them.

I always have my characters making things to give away. It’s nice to be finally doing it myself.

5 comments:

Planner said...

Congratulations on receiving your latest published books. I'm very much looking forward to finding out what Molly and friends are up to. It won't be long now! Your website update looks great.

I'm sure that the recipient of your lapghan will feel the loving care in your stitches and beautiful work.

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner,thanks for the congrats. I spent the whole evening on the lapghan. I hope to send it off soon.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Wow, you really are creative in so many ways, Betty! Books and crocheting and knitting and now even lapghans! And I know what you mean about being able to touch an actual copy of a new book. I received my box of Covert Attraction copies today, my new Harlequin Romantic Suspense that will be available in December.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, Harelequin really sends out books early. How nice and congrats on your new release. I think it is great how you have so many different writer hats!

I probably should have explained a lapghan better. It's a small afghan or blanket that covers your lap and legs. I think they can be knitted or crocheted. Mine is crocheted.

Chrystle Fiedler said...

Congrats! Congrats! How exciting! It's always nice to see your work published and to give back! I'm thinking that I need to take up knitting for the winter and make my doggies some sweaters! :D