Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

Riddle:  On a snowy night you are sitting before the fire reading a good mystery.  Suddenly a snowball shatters your front window.  You jump up and run to the window and through it see three boys running away.  You recognize them as brothers who live down the street.  They are John, Mark, and Paul Crimson, but you don’t know which one threw the snowball.  The next day you find a note in your mailbox.  It reads: “? Crimson.  He broke your window.”  After a moment’s thought, you know which of the boys it was.  Who broke your window?

The holiday rush is on.  I am up to my eyebrows in events and shopping.  It is a relief to grab even a brief opportunity to work on A Needle Case.  But some of the events are fun.  For example, on Sunday I went to an Evensong Service at St. George’s.  For a small parish we have a spectacular choir, and our Choirmaster is extraordinary.  He has persuaded a talented young violinist to come to several events and play for us.  Benjamin is seventeen now and plays as a professional.  He played ahead of the service and did pieces by Handel, Kreisler, and Elgar.  The service featured Franz Schubert’s “Missa Brevis in G,” and I thought the Agnus Dei would break my heart, so lovely and sad was it.

Later this morning I am taking Ann Peters to St.George’s to set up the Fontanini version of the First Christmas in Bethlehem - Sunday is the First Sunday of Advent.  We bought a couple of new pieces – which is something I’m going to have to think more about, as even using two long table, it’s getting crowded.  But it’s such fun!  The children love it - and so do the adults.  I hope my new arrangement for suspending twenty-two angels over the shepherds and their flock works.  I'll try to get a picture.

Please send good thoughts and prayers for my friend Tanya Smith, who went into the hospital last week for a knee replacement and has suffered the complication of a blood clot in a lung.  I went to see her yesterday and she was pretty much her chipper and brave self although floating near the ceiling on pain meds.

Solution:  Read properly, the note says, “Question Mark Crimson.  He broke your window.”

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds like a busy but fun time, Monica. Enjoy! And all best to your friend Tanya.

Betty Hechtman said...

I can't wait to see the picture of the floating angels. I have such a nice visual of it in my imagination. I hope Tanya recovers quickly!