Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Down the Hatch

The whale
Put Jonah
Down the hatch
But coughed him up
Because he scratched
Burma Shave

It is perhaps a curious artifact of times past (or a commentary on life here today) that virtually every person who read that little rhyme back in the 1930s knew who Jonah – and the whale – were.  Today, not so many.

This won’t happen until the end of May, but I just found out and I’m excited so I’m posting it now:  I got two tickets to the Antiques Roadshow taping May 31st in Bismark, ND!   I don’t know when the show(s) will air – they divide one day’s worth of shooting into three shows – and I’m relatively sure we don’t have something of such rarity or value that we’ll get to be interviewed on camera.  But it will definitely be fun.  I’m a big fan of the show, have been for years and years.

And how about this?  My editor sent me this link to a Buzzfeed list of “punning” cozy mystery titles.  And I have two titles on the list.   I didn’t think the custom was so widespread.  And, actually, reading the whole list in one sitting is like eating three iced cupcakes all at once -  Uff da!  My favorite: Freezer I’ll Shoot.  My editor, who sent me this link, has a favorite title of this sort that didn’t make the list: Roux the Day – super!  Go here to see the list:   http://www.buzzfeed.com/penguinusa/25-puntastic-cozy-mystery-titles-fawe

The weather has turned wonderful, warm and sunny.  I played a round of golf (par 3 – only I didn’t par a single hole) on Sunday.  Buds are swelling on trees and shrubs are sporting little green leaves.  I even saw a clump of daffodils in bloom on Monday.  I’m almost ready to forgive Minnesota for this past winter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you be taking notes at the show for a future book?

Betty Hechtman said...

How great about Antique Roadshow. I love that show!