The meditation group showed several benefits over the group that listened to the music:
- Significantly lower levels of depressive symptoms
- Improvements in reported mental health
- Improvements in cognitive functioning
- Increased telomerase activity in the blood (an indication of decreased cellular aging)
- Significant decreases in blood proteins associated with inflammation.
This specific study examined a chant and meditation practice called Kirtan Kriya, but prior studies on meditation have shown similar mind-body benefits with a variety of meditations. In short, any meditation practice you do for 10 minutes or more daily is likely to achieve similar results.
The meditation below has been used in other studies on meditation’s “relaxation response.” But remember, the most effective meditation practice is one you will actually do. Hundreds, if not thousands, of meditation techniques exist and are easily found on the web. Experiment and find the one that works best for you.
Simple Counting Meditation:
- Sit comfortably, with your spine erect and the crown of your head floating up
to the ceiling.
- Allow your eyes to close, and notice your breath—without intentionally trying to
change it. Bring your attention to the warmth and coolness of the breath
at the tip of your nostrils.
- After 2 – 3 minutes, or whenever you are ready, start counting each exhalation.
For example, when you exhale the first time, think "one." The next time you exhale, count "two." Keep counting silently to yourself, until you get to ten. After you reach ten, then start over again from "one."
- You’ll know your mind has wandered because you’ll lose count or notice that you’re thinking about something else. When that happens, (and it will!) try not to get frustrated. Instead, simply start over again by counting from “one.” Without judgment or frustration, notice how often you need to restart counting. The goal isn’t to get to 10, but to keep refocusing whenever your mind wanders.
- Continue this meditation for 10 minutes or longer if you’d like.
Come visit Whole Life Yoga in Seattle, and check out Tracy Weber’s author page for information about the Downward Dog Mysteries series. A KILLER RETREAT is available for preorder now from Whole Life Yoga. MURDER STRIKES A POSE is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and book sellers everywhere!