Friday, August 22, 2014

The Picture Worked!

I am back from Chicago. I love being there and in the middle of the city, but when I come back to L.A., well, really Tarzana, I am so happy to have my backyard. To be able to be outside surrounded by trees and still be home is the best.

I am now rewriting the third book in the Yarn Retreat series. They are having a cover meeting on it soon and needed some alternative titles since My Favorite Year is kind of dull. It was amazing when push came to shove, I actually came up with a bunch of other titles. I don’t know if they will like any of them. My personal Favorite is KNIT KNACK GET WHACKED, however, I don’t know if it is obvious that it is a play on knick knack paddy whack.

I am really enjoying rewriting. It is time to fill in around the bare bones of things. One of the hard part with a series is how to explain things from what has happened before without making it boring.

I am particularly having fun with one character. Madeleine Delacorte and her sister are the last surviving members (maybe) of the family that the Cadbury people have looked upon as local royalty. Madeleine has gone from being the silent sister to starting a new chapter of her life in her seventies. She has turned away from wearing the Chanel suits and carrying her purse Queen Elizabeth style as she and her sister have always done. She has gotten her hair cut into a bob and bought her first pair of jeans.

When I was writing the first draft, I felt like I was pushing a boulder up a hill. But now I know all the characters and all the twists and turns. It is still hard, but much more fun.

I am on a different computer than I was last week, so I am going to see if Blogger will let me upload the picture I tried to last week. Yay, it worked. This is my Chicago model showing off a washcloth I made on the plane.


6 comments:

Planner said...

Welcome back! Madeleine's transformation is going to make fun reading. I wonder how many people in their later years come out of their shells and decide to really live. What better time to do so!

I adore your model, and she looks like she has made permanent claims to your washcloth.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Welcome back to the L.A. area, Betty. Your picture is really cute!

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner, unfortunately there are probably not a lot of people who have Madeleine's mindset. Though if any group is likely to do it, it's baby boomers.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I love my doll model. Somebody spent a lot of time making her.

chkntza said...

I am excited to look forward to reading about a character in her seventies who is exploring life. I like that we have role models, real or imaginary, who are living life to the fullest and trying new things. Thank you from the baby boomers.!

Betty Hechtman said...

Miriam, we baby boomers have a whole new take on things.