Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Walking on Tiptoe


I'd imagine you're tired of hearing me complain about my ill computer.  Well, I'm tired of it, too.   

It's been in for repairs a couple of times and apparently needs a couple of fans replaced.  And that would take a couple of weeks if we left it to be done by the Geek Squad.   

So, we bought a new computer.  But I don't want the latest version of Word installed in it since I gave that a try on our little 2-in-1 and decided I'd like to use the older versions as long as possible, even though I started to learn the newer quirks.  I did get tired, though, of having everything expand or contract onscreen if I even scowled at it, but that was probably the computer. 

Anyway, I'll soon get the new desktop computer hooked up and get an older version of Word installed--once my son who's got the disks can visit and install it. 

Meantime, my old computer's still here beside me, chugging along--literally.  I just hope it survives with its existing fans till I can let it rest and get healed.  I do shut it down when I know I'll be away from it for a short while, such as for lunch, and when I return it's quiet... at first.  Then it starts sighing all over again. 

And despite all that?  I've been chugging away, too--working on book 2 in my Barkery & Biscuits Mysteries.  I'm really looking forward to the publication of the first in May--BITE THE BISCUIT. Meantime, I'll be attending a number of events and conferences, such as California Dreamin', held by the four Southern California chapters of Romance Writers of America at the end of this month. 
 
 

Surely my computer situation will be resolved by then.  But it'll still be good to get away from worrying about it for a few days.

2 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I know what you mean about versions of Word. I have 2003, 2007 and 2010. I prefer 2003, but it is only on an old laptop and I had to download it to get it on that computer. OUt of necessity I have gotten used to 2010.

But I still prefer WordPerfect and write all my manuscripts in it.

Good luck with all your computer issues.

Linda O. Johnston said...

So far my son has retained disks with an older version of Word, Betty--2003, I think--so I'm hoping to keep using it. However, I stopped in a Microsoft store again and am getting tempted with signing up for their lessons on the newest version, since I'm sure someday I'll have to change.