Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Back from RWA National

As I figured last week I'm a bit late posting this today.  My return flight yesterday was delayed, which didn't help.  The reason? Well, for one thing it was too hot in Chicago to fill the plane with enough gasoline to get to California, so we had to stop and refill the gas in Kansas City.  Go figure.

Anyway, I had a great time in my travels.  For one thing, the end of my trip was a stop to visit my son, d-i-l and two grandsons, which was Icing on the Cake--which you know is also the name of the bakery for humans in my Barkery & Biscuits Mysteries.

The first part of my trip was the Romance Writers of America National Conference in New York City.  It was a great conference--if you don't count the hotel I stayed in with two friends with whom I was on a panel.  It was an overflow hotel since the main conference hotel was filled, and it was awful.  First, they were redecorating the main level and it was a mess and hard to get around.  Then, there were hardly any lights in my room, which made nighttimes difficult.  There were a couple of bugs--termites?--that may have been permanent fixtures on the bathroom floor.  There weren't enough towel racks.  I could go on, but I won't.

Instead, I'll tell you some of the fun parts of the conference--networking, for one thing.  Also, I wound up with some additional insight on what to do with my website.   I spoke with my Harlequin editor and attended Meet and Greets for the two lines I write for, and got additional ideas for what comes next.  I met with my agent.  I learned more about the changing publishing industry. 

And I of course attended the always-fun Harlequin party!

Next year RWA National is in San Diego, much closer to my LA home.  Will I be there?

What do you think?

1 comment:

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I'm sorry your hotel was so unpleasant, but it sounds like you made the best of it. I miss going to the RWA conferences. Maybe next year.