Friday, July 3, 2015

Behind the Scenes


It is less than a week until the release of WOUND UP IN MURDER. The guest blogs have already started to appear. I saw the first review and it was a good one. I will sign books in Chicago next week. I will be signing books at the Knit and Crochet Show in San Diego on Saturday, July 25, from 1:30 to 2:00 in the Crochetville booth.

Thanks to the suggestion of my friend Linda, I may be a guest on a yarn podcast. In August I will be going to Writers Police Academy. This time it’s going to be in Appleton Wisconsin. I won’t be signing books, but I will be donating some for silent auction baskets.

Promotion is always the hard part for me. Since there is a pattern for the Worry Doll in the book, I have been using the finished product for Facebook postings. Her “interviews” have been continuing. It has been a lot of fun writing the posts to go with the pictures. It has also been fun deciding who was going to stop by. Time is almost up and I still have plenty of dolls including Albert Einstein, Puss in Boots, the Eleanor Roosevelt, Jane Austen and Virginia Wolf finger puppets, Martha Washington, Leonardo Di Vinci and a crocheted Paddington Bear.

Today we had Miss Marple, if after midnight counts as today instead of last night. Well, the doll didn’t come with the name, but I thought she looked the part. In case anyone is interested in the behind the scenes story of the doll here goes. My mother accumulated some really interesting handmade dolls, including the very large one I often use as a model. I don’t know where “Miss Marple” came from. I found her after my mother died and the doll was very comforting to hug. I flew her out here and she joined my eclectic assortment of dolls. Somehow she ended up near Barbie the detective and Wishbone the Dog dressed as Sherlock Holmes. So, when I was thinking famous detectives, she seemed perfect for Miss Marple.

However when the day of her shoot came, I noticed that she was losing her head and needed immediate neck surgery. I thought she was winking, but realized her eye had fallen out. It took a little while, but with her head secure and a new eye, she was ready. Almost. Miss Marple would be knitting. As I sensed myself getting more and more behind in my day, I created her knitting and ball of yarn. I wanted to attach the needles to her hands, but time was running out. I do have other things to do.

The light wasn’t cooperating –surprisingly, it was humid and gloomy – but I took the photo anyway. I sent it off from my phone and it disappeared in cyber space again and again. Thank yo AOL. Finally, I sent it to a business account email. The photo arrived, but sideway. By the time I figured out how to get it right side up, it was very late. I posted it to Facebook anyway, since I don’t know when things show up in the news feed.

And it all looks so easy. LOL!

4 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

You definitely sound busy, Betty. Enjoy your travels and events. And glad you were able to work things out for Miss Marple's photo shoot. She was clearly a challenge to fix, photograph and get posted!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I am amazed how photogenic Miss Marple is. Trying to pose the dolls so they look like something's happening is a challenge, but fun.

chkntza said...

You are an inspiration because you didn't give up.

Betty Hechtman said...

Miriam, it's funny that I never realized that about myself,but it's true. I don't give up. Maybe that's why I have a soft spot for terriers.