Friday, July 31, 2015

This Week

This week has felt like one long day of me sitting at my computer powering through the rest of SEAMS LIKE MURDER. But I typed the last rewritten line a little while ago. The very last part of the ending of my books always comes as a surprise to me. It seems like the characters always take over and just do something. This time was no different. Now, I just have to add the patterns and recipes. I will hit send tomorrow and it will get there before the August 1 deadline.

This is always the bittersweet time. I want to send it off, but it is hard to say good bye to it. Even though I will be getting it back with notes from my editor. This will be a new editor, so I’m not sure what to expect.

I made it to the Knit and Crochet Show last Saturday in San Diego. I signed some books, saw some friends and of course bought some yarn. My whole family drove down. They went out to lunch while I spent time at the yarn show. Afterwards we drove to Coronado island. It was very touristy, but festive. The Hotel Del Coronado was built in 1888 and I think was the first hotel on the west coast to have electricity. I kind of remember that Edison flipped the switch that turned it on.

I love old places like that. It was fun looking in the gift shop that has been open since 1888. There was a table with some DVD’s and books. I didn’t realize it, but “Some Like It Hot” was filmed there and they had DVD’s of it for sale. There was also a stack of the book “Somewhere in Time” by Richard Matheson. A lot of people know the movie made from it that starred Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour. The movie takes place on Mackinac Island, but the book actually takes place at the Del Coronado Hotel.

I love things about time travel and started to read the first few pages of the book. I got caught up in it right away because it starts out right around where I live, so I recognized the streets. I ended up buying the book and starting to read it that night. It seemed so strange to read about a character going to the Del Coronado hotel when I had just been there seeing the exact things the author was describing.

I had to set it aside to finish my writing, but after tomorrow I can get back to it. I think I am out of words for now.

6 comments:

Planner said...

I didn't know "Some Like It Hot" was filmed at the Hotel del Coronado! Or that the book "Somewhere in Time" took place there. How interesting! I have never stayed there, but I have visited, and I must say that even the restrooms are exquisite. Have you seen the movie "Somewhere in Time"? I wonder how the book compares. I like time travel, too (well, sometimes--it depends on the plot).

Linda O. Johnston said...

Congrats on finishing your manuscript! I, too, enjoy time travel, and my first published books were time travel romances. I'm having the fun of reading them again as I republish them as e-books.

Unknown said...

If you like time travel books, have you read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon? Though I much confess I started reading them because I found it the science fiction section of the bookstore.

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner, I saw Somewhere in Time a while ago. I think I have the DVD and might watch it when I finish the book. Richard Matheson seems to be mostly a science fiction writer, so there is a lot in the book about how time might work. He wrote for the Twilight Zone and some other similar TV shows. There was a woman who used to go to my gym who turned out to be his niece.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda,I didn't realize that your first books were time travel. I'll have to check them out.

Betty Hechtman said...

Unknown, I read some of the Outlander books. It was very clever the way Claire moved back and forth. I watched part of the series, but it was too dark and violent for my taste.