Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Autumn's Time of Splendor



Don’t talk to me of solemn days
    In autumn’s time of splendor,
Because the sun shows fewer rays,
    And these grow slant and slender.
Why, it’s the climax of the year,—
    The highest time of living!—
Till naturally its bursting cheer
    Just melts into thanksgiving.
-        Paul Laurence Dunbar

That’s for those of us who love autumn best of all the seasons.  I've seen several maple trees starting to show bright orange.  It's the start of fall.

I have agreed to sit in a booth in Excelsior on September 19 from 9 am to 11 am in honor of Apple Days, an annual celebration. The booth will be run by Excelsior Bay Books, one of my favorite bookstores. Apple Days is fun, lots of food, antiques, art, exhibits, etc. all up and down the main street. If you're in the area, come on over!

It looks as if Knit Your Own Murder’s new pub date will be in August 2016.  That’s a long way from April or May, but my editor says she wants the book to stand out among needlework mystery novels (of which there are more and more) and somehow August is a good pub date for that.  So now I have some breathing space to do a better job on the rewrite.

I actually think what happened to my computer worked out for the best.  The parts I’m re-writing are perhaps better than those lost, and I’ve got a hotter subplot going now.  And a subtler clue I’m working in.  I no long hate word processors, it makes it easier to go back and insert things or make just little changes to sentences without having to retype whole pages, like in the bad old days of typewriters.

Still, cross your fingers that this will actually be a better book.

Meanwhile, here are the two bandits I went to our State Fair with.  I didn’t realize what rebels I was going to the fair with until I saw this picture of Becky and Ann.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's GREAT! Just make sure you save this new verson on disc or something so history doesn't repeat itself.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I always loved fall when I lived in the east and got to enjoy the leaves changing color. In L.A., the season isn't nearly as pretty. And glad things worked out all right for you after your computer glitch.

Betty Hechtman said...

It's sounds like you made a disaster into something good. Yes, computers are so much better to write on than typewriters. In the old days if you changed a line you might have to retype a whole chapter. With a computer, it is easy to try something out and see how it works. Just like it easier to try something out with crochet rather than knitting because crochet is so much easier to undo.