Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Happy Halloween!


I know I'm a few days early, but Halloween is coming up.  And in case you're not aware of it, just check out stores and TV shows and online sites to see what oddball costumes are out there! 

When I most recently dressed up for Halloween, I enjoyed becoming a witch.  But these days, since we get no trick-or-treaters on our street and are empty nesters except for our dogs, I tend not to worry about a costume, and I have few treats available just in case. 

What is fun, though, is talking about my Superstition Mysteries around Halloween.  We all know superstitions about black cats, and they seem to show up a lot in shows about the holiday.  Did you know black cats are sometimes considered bad luck because they used to be considered witches' familiars? 

I've also blogged about other superstitions relating to Halloween, such as the origin of jack o'lanterns.  They actually used to be turnips, not pumpkins, derived from the legend of the soul of an evil man named Jack who was kicked out of heaven and forced to roam the earth.  He didn't want to be alone in the dark so he made a pact with the devil, who gave him an ember with a glow that would never go out.., which he inserted into a turnip. 

There are more related superstitions, too--and you can see from this how much fun I derive researching superstitions for my Superstition Mysteries. 
 

I'm not spending as much time as I was before promoting the new one, KNOCK ON WOOD, but I'm still up to other blogs and events.   

In any event, let me repeat it:  Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Betty Hechtman said...

I used to dress up to answer the door on Halloween. Everybody who doesn't go to your street comes to ours. Our neighbors who turn their front yard into fright maze as good as the ones people pay for helps bring in the crowd.

I liked the turnip story. It would be pretty hard to hallow one out, though and pumpkins are more colorful.