Wednesday, March 30, 2016

It's Almost April Fools' Day!


Today is March 30.  There is one more day this month, then April begins.   

As I mentioned last week, I'll be at the Sisters in Crime Adapting to Hollywood Conference starting on April 1.  Will I play any April Fools' jokes on anyone?  Guess I'll have to go there and find out.  And will anyone play one on me?  Same thing! 

The tradition has been around for many centuries. When I looked it up, I learned that precursors may date from Roman times, and the idea was even mentioned by Chaucer in his Canterbury Tales, although that may be subject to interpretation.    

In any event, I'll keep my eyes and ears open and attempt to be aware of jokes and pranks and anything else that suggests what day it is and how others choose to interpret and celebrate it.  I just hope that scheduling the conference then doesn't mean that it really doesn't start until the next day... Nah.  That won't happen. 

Maybe I'm so interested because I write Superstition Mysteries--and maybe becoming an April Fool could be related to a superstition.  Or not.  I'm not aware of any bad or good luck befalling anyone for pranking, or failing to prank, someone else on that day. 

How about you?  Will you find a way to celebrate April Fools' Day?  What kind of joke will you pull?

2 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

I celebrate it every year since it is also my birthday.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I missed this, Betty. Belated Happy Birthday!