Friday, June 24, 2016

Getting a Bonus

It’s funny how things turn out . I am working ona proposal for something new. It used to be you had the first page to grab a reader or in this case editor, but now it is really down to the first paragraph or even the first line. A proposal is made up of a synopsis and the first fifty pages. I find that trying too hard doesn’t work well for me, so I just moved on from the beginning figuring something would turn up.

It was all put on the backburner earlier this week when I went with my son to do my job as support in our financial seminar business. There was a bonus involved. The office we were working out of is next to a big shopping mall and there is a Barnes & Noble. Ever since the two Barnes & Nobles near me closed, going to the bookstore has become a treat. During some down time I went to the bookstore with the idea of picking up something to read. The last time I was there I picked up a Mary Kay Andrews book on the bargain hardcover table. It was the first book of hers I’d read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I went back to the same display table to see what they had. There were several books I considered and I read the beginnings of all of them. In the end, I left empty handed, or did I?

Later when I was thinking about the proposal, I thought back to my bookstore trip and the beginnings I’d read. I didn’t remember them word for word, but I did remember the overview of them. And I had a aha moment about what I was working on and a better beginning for my story popped into my mind.

I had looked at my book shopping as time off from writing, but I am beginning to realize there is no time off. My mind is always working.

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Ah, the fun of being a writer, Betty. Yes, we're always at work even when we're sleeping. And we never have to retire unless we choose to. I'll bet your new proposal turns out great!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, thanks for the vote of confidence!