Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Back from RWA

If you read my blog last week, you already know that I attended the Romance Writers of America's National Conference between that post and this one.  It was in San Diego, and as I mentioned I took the train there.  I got on at Burbank Airport's stop and got off not far from the hotel, which was the Marriott Marina. 

I enjoyed taking the train but the best seats were upstairs and I had to carry my suitcase since I couldn't check a bag at that stop.  It worked out okay, though I was concerned about how I'd do coming home since I always collect books at RWA National.  Fortunately, I was still able to carry my bag up the stairs!  And, yes, I generally wind up taking a regular sized suitcase to writing conferences to accommodate both necessary changes of clothes... and those books.  One of the best parts of the train ride was when we could see the Pacific Ocean out the windows.

There's not a lot I can say here that I didn't predict last week.  One of the most enjoyable things was my signing and giving away copies of my August release COVERT ALLIANCE, a Harlequin Romantic Suspense novel, at the Harlequin signing event.  I always get to sign and sell copies of my work at the Literacy Signing, but this was my first time participating in one of the giveaways to promote the publisher and introduce the authors.  The timing just worked out right this year.

Yes, I attended workshops, particularly those held by Harlequin and its authors.  And parties?  Sure, especially Harlequin's!

I also got to meet up with some of the people from Writerspace.  I connected with them last year at RWA National when the person who'd been maintaining my website decided to get out of the business.  Now, they not only maintain my website but do a lot more for me, including introducing my new releases on their site, allowing me to blog and chat there, design and send out my newsletter, and more. 

Plus, as predicted, I got to network with other authors and industry professionals.  In all, I had a great time!


Will I attend next year?  It's in Orlando, not for the first time.  I've attended a lot of RWA conferences over the years, have blogged about them often on Killer Hobbies, and always find them professionally helpful.  I haven't decided yet about 2017--but don't be surprised if I decide to go to that one, too.  

2 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

It sounds like you had a great time.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I definitely did!