Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Pleasant Discovery



Java the cat is settling in, as seen by her asserting herself on things that don’t really matter.  For example, she cannot bear a closed door.  When Ellen wished to sleep in undisturbed, Java came to find me and begin whining in her low, rusty voice.  She had been recently fed, she didn’t want to lie in my lap while I worked on my computer, she didn’t want me to find and throw a toy.  She led me to the closed bedroom door, sat in front of it and whined some more.  So I opened it, she went in, turned around and came back out again.  And didn’t whine any more.  All she wanted was the door left open.  She is the second cat in a long line of cats who lived with me who had a thing about closed doors.

My sister-in-law, her owner, is home from rehab, but still not in a state to care for Java, so the cat will continue in our care for at least the next couple of weeks, and probably longer.

Later today I am going for a mammogram – my last.  One of the good things – and there are a few – about getting older is that some of the less pleasant medical procedures are no longer done.  This is one of them.

I am re-reading some of my published work.  Some of it is pretty good, which is a very satisfying discovery.  Have any of you published authors done that?  There are some turns of plot and phrase that I'd forgotten about and was pleased to come across.

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds as if Java is a fun but challenging house guest. And I do re-read some of my published work, sometimes to remind myself of early parts of a series and sometimes when I'm preparing a books to be re-published as e-books. It's always fun to consider what else was going on in my life at the time each story was written.

Betty Hechtman said...

I am in Chicago now and some really old stuff I wrote is here. I was way too serious then.