Monday, April 10, 2017

5 Things I Learned about Mid Century Modern -- and Enter to Win 17 Funny Mysteries

Sure, I grew up in the era of Mid Century Modern, but we didn't have the money to follow design trends. In a way, this style is new to me. Especially now that I've been researching the best of the best for that trend.

But here's what I've noticed so far, and how I'm incorporating it in my new dollhouse:

1. MCM lines are spare and elegant. There was a turning-away from excess, whether that be carved ornamental flourishes or clutter or ruffles. As a crafter, this means I can't hide anything under fabric or trim. Over the weekend, I worked on this fireplace and shelf unit. I'll have to fix the trim (I'll use Elmer's Wood Filler), because tiny imperfections are unforgiving in MCM.



2. Geometric shapes and natural materials occupied the same space harmoniously. Materials were used in the raw, and the shapes followed by emphasizing and showing off those materials. I love this kidney-shaped table that I bought from an artisan online. It's iconic to the era.

3. Color was used in new ways. Sofas and chairs were upholstered in solid-colored fabrics, typically neutrals. Accessories provided pops of color, often contrasting with each other. Walls were mainly white. I've decided to use shades of gray with pops of yellow, orange, and blue in the decor. The rugs, pillows, and so on will be the main source for these splashes. I found the perfect rug and colors in this photo--


However, I don't have a link to the rug itself. So...I will make a pattern and make the rug. First I'll decide exactly how big it should be. Then I'll draw the rug to scale on paper and use markers to color in the various areas. I'll transfer the design using water soluble sewing markers. Finally, I'll reproduce the rug...in miniature. Probably using punch needle so that it will give me a shag rug texture.


4. The "open" floor plan was big. There will be only one interior door in this whole project, the door to the bathroom. I had to go online to see what interior doors looked like back then. You don't give it much thought in daily life, but for a project like this, it's crucial. I've decided the door will be perfectly plain with a little cup-like divot to use as a handle. I hadn't decided if it will be a color or natural wood, but I'm leaning toward the latter.

5.  This spare visual environment provided a clean backdrop for the art of the time--and I'm excited about replicating the various paintings and structures. I'm planning to do a miniature of the Picasso metal structure in downtown Chicago. In this picture, you can see a miniature Eames elephant. It's $270.





 I made one, too, but painted mine blue. I haven't decided whether to keep mine as part of the final scene or not. If I do, I'll make it again, better, now that I know what not to do.

Anybody out there want a blue elephant?

Do you like the elephant or think it's stupid?

-------------------------------------------

LOVE TO LAUGH?


Enter today to win 17 funny mysteries:

https://authorsxp.com/giveaway

Hurry! Today's the last day!

6 comments:

Ellen said...

Elephant? Any color but white, thank you. (Though pink is somewhat suspicious.)

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

No pink. Good thinking.

TriciaC said...

I love MCM. The blue elephant is awesome. I love it!

Gram said...

Love the blue...it reminds me of William the blue hippo.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Tricia, this is sooooo you, isn't it? Want the pattern?

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Gram, I knew I'd seen something similar somewhere. Thanks!