Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Back in the Saddle



It is amazing to me how often inspiration comes at inconvenient times.  Like, for me this most recent time, at night, when I’m in bed falling asleep and with an early morning appointment.  But POW! just as my thoughts are starting to jumble into a dream, I thought, Make It One.  There just isn’t enough story for Tying the Knot.  I’d have to pad – and I hate reading a book that’s padded with unnecessary digressions and the detective behaving stupidly to make the story longer.  I need action and movement and danger and excitement.  So, two weddings!  And Connor deathly ill!  And Betsy’s first husband is . . . um, up to something!  Alarums and excursions!  Let’s see, first Roo turns up, and then Godwin is excited at planning a huge, expensive wedding, then Connor falls very ill, then the wedding planner is murdered, then Godwin's friend is suspected of murder but Betsy is too worried about Connor to investigate, then Roo does something stupid, and – yes!  Wow, this could be good!  Oh, boy!  And next thing I know my clock is striking midnight and I’m wide awake.  Should I keep the title Tying the Knot?  After all, two knots are going to be tied, but on the other hand, I think Betsy marrying Connor will mean she sells Crewel World to devote herself to – what?  Travel?  Anyway, maybe a new title is in order: Goodbye, Crewel World.  Because this will be the end of the series.

Awwwww . . .  Sad.  But it’s good to find myself back in the saddle.  Because I think I have an inkling of a notion of an idea for an entirely different sort of novel.

Meanwhile, I’m wearing a knee brace, which is working pretty well and enabling me to cowardly put off knee replacement surgery for a while longer.

6 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

I have enjoyed the whole Crewel series, and will hate to see it end !

Betty Hechtman said...

It's great when inspiration strikes, no matter the hour.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sorry the series is ending but I'll bet there'll be something fun next!

mnleona said...

Tying one knot sounds good to me. Will you still do a needlework book series? Do not put off the knee surgery too long. I waited and wish I had done it sooner. I am fine now.

Monica Ferris said...

Leona, contact me, please. I want more information about your knee surgery. I'm not is a great deal of pain, at least not all the time, but you're the second person who has told me not to put it off too long. How long did you put it off? Till what point?

Gail Smith said...

Wonderful for the inspiration; bummer on the lack of sleep. Always 2 sides to everything. Betsy has had a very interesting life - in the US Navy & afterwards. I have so enjoyed each & every issue with all the different people who were part of her life. May she go on in our minds to a glorious end with Connor. We learned about friendship, honesty, family, ignoring fear of failure & trying something new, and devotion to the truth. I will miss Betsy & her adventures.

As for your knee surgery, the longer bone rubs on bone the worse the damage. The worse the damage to the bone the more difficult the surgery/replacement. The harder the surgery the longer/more difficult the recovery. Don't forget that your other knee is working double duty as it is having to take up the slack for your braced knee. That's it in a nutshell. However, your aversion to pain after the past 2 years is very understandable. Get the book out. Get the surgery done & have a good recovery.