Friday, June 2, 2017

How to Keep a Clear Head

I ended last weeks blog by saying something about wanting to go to the gym. Well, I finally made it there last Saturday and again on Tuesday. And I am planning to go on this Saturday again. I am hoping it is the beginning of a pattern. For over 20 years, I went at least three times a week and then with one thing and another, I stopped going all together. I am getting used to the new location and have found some positives about it, like I like the walk through the mall to get there, and am ignoring the negatives, like it has horrible lighting and stupid things like a post in the middle of the fitness class room . I faced that my absence from the gym shows in my figure and that I have lost some of my endurance and agility. In other words, I got past the idea that I didn’t look so hot in my exercise wear and I was a klutz in the dance classes.

As soon as I realized I didn’t really care about either of those facts, I was okay. I mean, really, so what. I did the Zumba class and the Dance It Out class without tripping over my own feet or anyone else’s. I felt the surge of well being after exercise that I had forgotten about. I saw people I knew from before and they all said kind things to me whether they were true or not.

Getting back on the horse after an absence is hard. But hopefully that obstacle is behind me now.

I am in the midst of doing the rewrite of the next Crochet Mystery. I always start by reading over the whole draft, making notes on it as I go. It’s the first time I’m really reading what I’ve written. I always feel excitement and trepidation when I start. The fun part is when I forgot I’m reading something I’ve written and am surprised by what I read, or when I laugh out loud.

Soon I will turn those notes into changes in the manuscript. I am calling it ALL HOOKED UP for now, but I’m not sure what the title will end up being.

I have to keep reminding myself that A TANGLED YARN is coming out in August and I have to get it together to update my website, do promotion stuff, write blogs, etc.

At the same time I got the art work for the audio version of WOUND UP IN MURDER to approve which means it will be coming out soon.

It’s enough to make my head swim. The great thing about the gym classes are that they really do clear my mind and keep me from feeling overwhelmed. Taking care of my grandson does that too. I spent most of two days last week taking care of Jakey. Being with him is like meditating. I am absolutely in the moment. And when I leave I am blissed out.

5 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

You do sound busy! I'm jealous of your visits to the gym since I can't exercise right now. How fun that you get to spend so much time with your grandson. And all sounds great with your writing!

chkntza said...

I also go to the gym for zumba and I love it! I have a trainer too to help me keep in shape.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, it is wonderful to be able to take care of Jakey. I hope you will be back exercising soon.

Betty Hechtman said...

Miriam, isn't Zumba fun. I have also taken a class called Dance It Out. It's great that you work with a trainer.

linda osborn said...

Well, I am one of those whose insurance provides a free gym membership, but getting there is rare ! One of these days !