Friday, September 8, 2017

Time Off

The whole month of August I had my nose to the grindstone. First getting everything together for our corporate taxes and then basically rewriting my manuscript. It was a relief to let go of all that pressure. And now it’s time to catch up on everything I neglected.

It feels like I spent the whole month sitting at a computer or sitting at the dining room table with my calculator and last years records. I don’t remember the last time I went to the gym. It doesn’t take long to get out of shape. I feel like I have to get back in some kind of shape before I go to the gym. So I started going on our treadmill and using a Shake Weight. It amazed me to see what doing both for just a couple of days did.

It is a relief to be able to read and not feel like I should be doing something else. I had started rereading Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk before all the work started. I have read that book numerous times when I was different places in my life. It’s really about a young woman in New York in the late 30's. Though it gives the impression of being a love story, I always saw it as being about a young woman who had dreams of what she wanted to be, but in the end she gives them up and becomes an ordinary wife and mother and seems content with her decision.

It is interesting to me to see how differently I have seen the book over the years. Though I think from the first time I read it when I was fourteen, I thought what a waste. I couldn’t really understand how she was okay with giving it all up.

A movie was made from the book starring Natalie Wood and Gene Kelly. The movie had a totally different ending than the book and really focuses on the love story.

This time off is short lived. I have another Yarn Retreat book to write and the next Crochet Mystery. We start doing seminars next week. Halloween will be here before I know it. It will exciting this year because of Jakey. My son has a friend he grew up with and the first time they went trick or treating, they did it together. Now they both are married with babies that are a few months apart and the plan is that Jakey and Kat will carry on the tradition and go trick or treating together. I can’t wait to see their costumes.

I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering where this year has gone.





1 comment:

Linda O. Johnston said...

I'm definitely wondering how this year can be going so fast. Glad you have at least a little interlude before diving into your work of all types again.