Monday, December 11, 2017

Magical Weiss Shrimp

We have a small family, and most often our get-togethers revolve around weddings and funerals. We celebrated a happy occasion two days ago: My uncle's 80th birthday. Family flew in to Connecticut from as far away as Florida (me) and the Midwest (my sisters and our mother). We had two delicious meals, one at a restaurant Saturday night, and brunch at my uncle's house Sunday.

Recipes aren't just about food; sometimes they're memories, sometimes they're tradition, and sometimes they're a family favorite with a back story. The birthday boy - my Uncle Don - served this easy-peasy shrimp dish at Sunday brunch. The original recipe came from his neighbor Mr. Weiss, and now it's referred to as Magical Weiss Shrimp.

Magical Weiss Shrimp

1 can beer
1 can vinegar (any kind, use the beer can as a measure)
1 can water
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (if you like the tails on, that's fine)
1 bottle Italian dressing (use your favorite)

Bring the beer, vinegar, and water to a boil. Add the shrimp, and when the poaching liquid boils again, remove the shrimp. Put the cooked shrimp in a sealable container (you can use a zip-top plastic bag) with the Italian dressing; refrigerate and marinate at least 24 hours. Can be made two days ahead of time.

Serve in a bowl chilled or room temperature. These make a lovely addition to a brunch table, or as an easy appetizer.


I enjoy adding fast and versatile recipes to my recipe box, and I bet you do too. Let me know how you like this!

No comments: