Monday, January 22, 2018

Hot Scotch Toddy

Flu and strep throat have been making an appearance in my office. I'm lucky in that I have a door I can close to help keep germs at bay. I also use disinfecting wipes, wash my hands often, and take an essential oil combo that has (knock wood, fingers crossed, throwing salt over my left shoulder) kept me in relative good health since October 2016.

That being said, I found myself in need of remedial efforts when I was feeling punky. Hot Toddy to the rescue, with his friend Laphroaig single malt whisky. Laphroaig isn't for everyone: very smoky, briny, one of the Islay malt whiskies.

I'm sure some would shudder at this recipe, but it worked for me and that's really what counts.

Hot Scotch Toddy

Earl Grey tea
Scotch whisky
6 whole cloves
1 T honey
1 large piece of lemon rind, white pith removed as much as possible

I cut small slits in the lemon rind with the tip of a paring knife, to make inserting the cloves easy on my fingers. I let the clove-studded lemon rind steep in the tea for a few minutes, removed it, added the honey and the Laphroaig, and drank.

I felt so good, I thought another Hot Toddy was in order. Done and done. I think the combination of two Hot Toddies and an early night in bed for a good night's sleep was the one-two punch for whatever punk I was feeling.


What's your go-to when you feel like you're coming down with something?


No comments: