Friday, May 18, 2018

Traveling

When you read this I will be in Miami, probably with an umbrella, but if the weather reports are wrong and the sun is out, I’ll be on a glass bottom boat off of Key Largo.

I am trying to come up with some blurbs for the next two crochet mysteries. I always have a hard time coming up with a motive for killing someone and an interesting way of doing it. It’s particularly hard when I like the character who has to die. One of my editors talked me out of killing one of my characters in the Yarn Retreat series because she liked her too much.

I have had several eureka moments when I thought I had it, but then the plan fell apart. And I know that trying too hard to come up with something is the kiss of death.

So maybe I’ll put it on the back burner for now and maybe as I’m hunkered under that umbrella or looking at fish swim by on the glass bottom boat, the perfect plot will appear in my mind.

In the meantime I have pushing ahead with Inherit the Wool. I had another one of those moments when a character took over and did something unexpected. And of course it made perfect sense.

This will be my first time in Miami, beyond my stop once in the Miami airport on the way to Writer’s Police Academy when it was in Greensboro, North Carolina. I ended up with window seats on the flight to Miami and the small plane to Greensboro. I remember being excited at looking down at the Gulf of Mexico and seeing a ship and then when I flew up to Greensboro, looking down on all the green and imagining swamps and alligators.

My seat of choice now is an exit row on the aisle. When nature calls, I don’t like having to climb over a stranger who invariably gives me a dirty look. I have a travelers number so I get through security without having to pull out my computer or take off my shoes. I have a computer bag that fits under the seat, so no fussing for overhead space.

Flying is not what it once was. I remember when people got dressed up and passengers were treated like guests. It was a different world.

Next week I’ll have pictures of rain drops or fish.

3 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

Of course people can be looking down in the glass bottom boat, and see a dead body staring up at them....they do have those boats in Catalina, one of your favorite settings! Alligators and swampy creatures are a little too gross--though we were encouraged to toss marshmallows to them when they swam up to the boat in Lousianna. Hurrricanes, Bermuda Triangle--trouble is your characters from both series seem to hang out in CA ! You will think of something ! Send one of your couples to Florida on vacation...

chkntza said...

I agree with you about the aisle seat for the very same reason.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I identify about your description of flying, Betty. I've been doing some of my own lately! More to come in a future post.