Friday, January 18, 2008

Mirror, mirror...


It’s official. I’ve finished the second draft of A KILLER WORKOUT, which frees me up to start working on the next book in the Fat City Mysteries. The working title is FINAL CUT.

The mystery of FINAL CUT will involve plastic surgery (and murder, natch).

So I’ve already started researching the world of cosmetic procedures. I should also mention that, as a card-carrying resident of LA LA Land, I have already had “a bit of” cosmetic work done. Several bits of work, in fact.

All of which should prepare me to better understand some things I’m learning about life under the beauty knife:

According to the Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgery ™, the top ten plastic surgery operations in 2006 (for women) were:
Breast Enhancement
Nose job
Liposuction
Eyelid surgery
Tummy tuck

For men, nose reshaping was number one, hair transplants were in the top three, and breast reductions in the top five.

Women had 9.9 million cosmetic procedures in 2006, a number that jumped 55 per cent from the year 2000 to 2006. We spent more than two billion dollars on Botox treatments. Two billion!

Those numbers don’t really surprise me. In Los Angeles, we practically have a botox spa on every corner.

It’s a fascinating world to explore for the new book—our obsession with youth, plus our willingness to pay big bucks and risk multiple operations to hang onto it.

How about you? Are you okay with the idea of having cosmetic surgery? Against it? Myself, I was always against it.

Until the day I saw the first crow’s feet in the mirror.


Breaking news!

Join us for a fun panel, "Sassy Sleuths," on Saturday, January 19, 3 - 5 PM
Vroman’s Bookstore 695 E. Colorado Blvd.Pasadena, CA 91101
Featuring: Sisters in Crime/Los Angeles Author Members with Patricia Smiley, Harley Jane Kozak, Sue Ann Jaffarian, Kathryn Lilley; Moderator G.B. Pool.

5 comments:

Camille Minichino said...

Fascinating numbers, Kathryn, and I'll bet you will have a terrific time researching that world!

For me, the of surgery is way too scary, unless it was necessary to keep me alive. And even then ... (smile) I'm not sure ...

Kathryn Lilley said...

I know, Camille...it definitely feels like dancing on the edge!

Monica Ferris said...

I think about it every so often (would like my eyes done), but I'm a bit wary of taking that first step on what might be a long, expensive, and slippery slope. I'm also aware that while plastic surgeons can do amazing things on the exterior, you will still have a "golden oldie" digestion and heart -- and skeleton, for that matter, right?

Kathryn Lilley said...

I had the eyelift surgery and loved it--very little downtime or discomfort. But you have to weight all the concerns. For the heart, during my research I read that regular brisk walking can take 30 years off your cardio system...

Zo said...

i just think plastic surgery should be restricted to people who have a serious medical issue


http://plasticnation.blogspot.com/