Monday, September 5, 2011

I'm Not Putting My White Jeans Away--and Other Thoughts on Labor Day

My son and his friends from University of Miami stopped by yesterday (Sunday). We had a cookout, the boys played washers, did some surfing, and drove back to school. They are all smart kids, but for them, the future is uncertain. There won't be a job that ensures lifetime employment. In fact, some of the careers they might enter haven't even been invented yet. No one expects them to sign on to a job and work at the same company until they retire with a gold watch, like my grandfathers did.

I can't even count all the jobs I've had. What about you? Did your career path go as planned?

How did you celebrate Labor Day? I think that college today must prepare students to be lifelong learners. It won't be enough to learn a skill. Skills will change too quickly. Instead, students must learn how to be adaptable.

The Labor Day citation in Wikipedia mentioned that "traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer. In high society, Labor Day is (or was) considered the last day of the year when it is fashionable for women to wear white."

I'm not putting my white jeans away, and I hope for an Indian Summer.

Yeah, I'm a contrarian. How about you? What does Labor Day mean to you?

3 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Ah, yes, Joanna, I remember the days when I believed I had to put away my white clothes for the winter. I'd ignore that now even if I didn't live in LA. I'm not even sure what the significance of Labor Day is any more except as a day off for some people in some jobs--but it makes no difference to writers!

Monica Ferris said...

That's true, Linda, we don't get the usual holidays, do we? Labor Day means the end of summer - didn't grade school start the day after Labor Day once upon a time? There is a distinct chill in the air this morning in Minneapolis. I am putting my white high-heeled sandals away and also my straw hats, though I'm sure I'll miss my black and yellow hat till next spring.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

I'm looking forward to spending a couple of months of fall up north...but I'm handing on to those white jeans.

And Linda, every day is a writing day, isn't it?

Monica, chill? Already?