Monday, June 25, 2012

How Do I Love Thee, IKEA?

Once upon a time, my husband and I had a very, very traditional home with a formal living room, seven bathrooms, a formal dining room, a full finished basement, and very stuffy looking furniture. Then one day, David said, "We have rooms we never use. Never even go into. I think it's time for a change."

I agreed. Since then we've down-sized, simplified, and streamlined our lives. That is why we've come to love IKEA.

How do I love thee, IKEA? Let me count the ways:

1. Signage--Crisp, clean, clear and useful. Information that fascinates, such as about the Swedish Dalecarlian horse, a traditional carved and painted toy for children.



2. Examples--The room settings give me great ideas of how to put furniture and accessories together.

3. Creature Comforts--Hey, I love your Swedish meatballs with lingonberry preserves. The price of a dinner at IKEA can't be beat! The bill for meatballs, mashed potatoes, salad and a drink came to $6!

4. Style--Your designers seem to straddle that thin line between modern and cold, always coming down on the mod side but maintaining a warm and coziness that I crave.

5. Availability--Admittedly, I'm spoiled. I like INSTANT gratification, and you give it to me. I see, I buy, I bring it home all in one day.

6. Price--I can buy a lot of furniture for a little money.

  I'm curious. Do you shop at IKEA? Do you love it the way I do?

5 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

We've got a nice Ikea not far from us, Joanna, but I have to admit that I try not to go there. I'm attracted to what they sell--but already have too much stuff!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

They sure have my number, Linda.

Camille Minichino said...

Definitely a fan. I have several small tables that consist of nicely finished tops and --- should I be embarrassed? -- screw-in legs! They're ready in five minutes and serve many purposes.

Betty Hechtman said...

I like Ikea, but although their floor lamps are very attractive, the don't last. After the third one I boughtthere, I noticed that after a couple of years the on off things broke. There is no reason something like that should break, which makes me think it is deliberate.

Susie Bentz said...

Love Ikea! The showroom is a great place to wander. And they have clever and attractive storage ideas.