Friday, July 13, 2018

To the 60s and Back

It is no longer 115 degrees here. Now it’s just in the 90s with unusual humidity. So any way you look at it, it’s still uncomfortable. I have been dragging all afternoon, feeling sapped of energy. I wondered what I’d write about this week and then between stuff I called up on my phone and dealing with my computer later, the subject presented itself.

While I was lolling on the couch trying to re-energize myself, I played with my phone. Something I usually don’t do. I guess it started with an ad I saw in the paper for a show that featured some groups and individuals from the 60s performing at the Orange Country Fair over the summer. It stirred up nostalgia in me and I started Goggling Gary Puckett (he’s one of the performers in that show). I was just curious what he looked like. Well I ended up watching a YouTube performance from the 60s when he was in a band called the Union Gap. I chuckled at their outfits which I suppose were suppose to look like Union uniforms from the Civil War.

The music took me back to the 60s. It was like the way a fragrance trigger’s memories and emotions. I marveled at the wonder of my phone as I found another YouTube video of a favorite song. The duo was Chad & Jeremy and it’s called A Summer Song. Even all these years later that song gets to me. It took me right back to my room and all that was going on in my life then. I was absolutely back being that me.

But the song ended and it was back to here and now. It was also the end of the upside of dealing with computers and the Internet. My desktop computer turned itself off and back on during the night. I assume Windows sent some command to it that made it do it. When I went to it this morning, the file I had open was now closed and there was a window in the middle of the screen telling me that Goggle drive would no long sync and I had to download something. I’ve seen that window before and just wanted to close it. But the red box with the x didn’t work. Worse, the box stayed on top of anything else I tried to do like work on my manuscript. I had to leave this morning and thought it would go away during the day. It didn’t. Finally, my only choice was to shut down and restart my computer. Only the window was back. At last, I figured out a way to close it. If you’re interested, I went to the icon on the bottom of the screen and it gave me an option to close it.

I was left with time wasted and my frustration level up. But it only got worse. I don’t know if it is because of the end of net neutrality or something with my Internet connection but it started to tease me. I would see that I was connected and try to do something online. And then the connection would be lost. And then it came back and was lost again. More time wasted and frustration level going up. All the poignant nostalgic feelings from the Chad & Jeremy song were blotted out . The irony is that I was trying to access a meditation session.

1 comment:

Linda O. Johnston said...

So sorry you're having computer issues. I know how difficult that can be. But it's fun that you're able to engage in some nostalgia to help make up for it.