Thursday, October 18, 2018

Preparing for a Book Signing


It's been awhile since I've had a traditional book signing, or at least a signing where selling books is the only focus of the event I'm attending, and I have one coming up during Mountaineer week at WVU. I'm nervous and excited about it. Since a craft fair is also going on at the same time, and my mysteries have a crafting component, I decided I wanted to spruce up my table decor.

For a table cover, I usually use a piece of fabric that matches the theme of the newest book. Most of my crafting projects lately had been vinyling t-shirts and other items, so I decided to "upgrade" by decorating a fitted tablecloth with my book cover images, my name, and a slogan.


I bought some fabric transfer sheets (Avery brand) and printed my mystery covers on them using the ink jet printer. The colors were a little muted, but not sure if it's because of the program used to convert the image, the DPI resolution, or my printer ink is running out. (I have a feeling it might be the last as I've been doing a lot of color printing.)

Following the directions on the packaging, I pressed the image onto the fabric using the half-sheet recommendation. I lifted up a portion and noticed the image didn't completely transfer. I placed it back down but it had shifted and the image smudged. Fortunately, I only need one side of the tablecloth visible so I flipped it over and started again.

This time, I used the time for a full sheet transfer image...and added thirty more seconds to be sure. The image came out good...the top more clean than the bottom which had more details. I think part of the issue is the material the tablecloth was made from. My plan is to buy another one that has a higher cotton content and make a new one. I'm redoing my inspirational series and would like to add the covers onto the other side, in case I ever have both sides of the tablecloth visible.

 


And, as a follow-up to last week's blog entry, I wanted to share that I have put the first book of my inspirational romantic series up on Kindle. Lost Then Found is currently only available as an ebook on Amazon and is in the Kindle Unlimited program.

 

No comments: