Saturday, August 21, 2010

Work-cation


This week we’ve been writing about our favorite vacations. I wouldn’t exactly call this my favorite, but it’s what I’m on now. And it’s not exactly a vacation since I packed up my laptop and a hard copy of my manuscript and came to Chicago to do the rewrite on my sixth crochet mystery which is now called Behind the Seams.

I like to think I’m at my own personal full service writer’s resort. After all that sitting reading my manuscript and sitting in front of the computer, I need some exercise. Who needs a gym when I walk everywhere, carry groceries and have three flights of stairs to go up and down numerous times. The beach is a short walk away if I’m interested in swimming.

And for eating - there are restaurants up and down the street offering a whole selection of cuisines. Though I took my shopping cart to the grocery store and bought all my favorites.

I have a whole stash of yarn here and hooks of all sizes, so when I’m not working on the book, I can work on the crochet projects I’m including. If I need amusement, there is a stack of some of my favorite DVDs and books all over the place. I can even get a steam bath if I want it. All I have to do is step out on the front porch. With temperature in the mid eighties and the humidity around seventy percent, I’d be drenched in sweat in no time. Did I mention it’s close to midnight? Luckily there is something else I have here. Window air conditioners.

3 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

I think all writers are at work most of the time, Betty, no matter where we are. How nice that you have a great place to stay to get away from your usual environment while you write.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, you are right about writers working all the time. I was walking back from the beach yesterday and as the sweat was trickling down my face, I was thinking about how to describe it.

It is still a vacation from my regular life to be here.

Camille Minichino said...

And I thought it was just me :=))

Even a trip to grocery store prompts a "what if ..."

Love your "work-cation" description, Betty.