Friday, January 28, 2011

What a Difference a Day Makes

What would life be without contrasts? Yesterday I was in SoCal. No jacket needed as I went in my backyard. It was warm, sunny and windy. The bald spots in the yard were filling in with bright green shoots of grass. The carnations were blooming and had a wonderful spicy scent.

1745 miles later the scene changed.

As the plane was landing last night, snow was blowing by the window. I could see my breath as I walked onto the jet bridge. Along the expressway, the slopes were covered in white.

Today as I prepared to go to the grocery store, I put on a parka and gloves. I pulled my shopping cart down the street through the falling snow. The only flowers or greenery were the bunches of blossoms in the grocery store.

The snow caught in my hair and on the front of the parka. I didn’t have to worry about my frozen food thawing on the walk home. I realized that lawn and garden service has a winter meaning here as I watched two men with that emblazoned on their jackets get out of a truck with a snow plow attached to the front as they began to shovel the walk in front of me.

It was nice to come inside where it was cozy and warm. I hope I finish crocheting the snuggily cowl I started on the plane. It goes with the weather here. A good time to sit at my computer and finish the new thing I'm working on. No pull to go off walking in the Santa Monica mountains or bask in the sun.

I love contrasts. What about you?

10 comments:

Planner said...

That is quite a contrast! It would have been hard for me to leave the warm sun behind. When it comes to weather, I'd love to have eternal summer. I just feel better when it's warm and the sun is shining. I'm thinking spring-like weather in So Cal is here to stay, but I could be wrong. Our weather is predictably unpredictable.

Enjoy your real winter weather!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I enjoy contrasts, Betty, but I'm glad I'm in SoCal. On the other hand, I empathize and sympathize. You're now sharing the climate with my son and d-i-l!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

I agree that contrasts make life interesting. That said, I must be a warm weather person. Usually I get really down this time of year, but living here in Florida, I have evaded my seasonal blues. Hip-hip-hurrah!

Betty Hechtman said...

I hope you are right about the SoCal weather, Planner. I'm looking forward to warmth and sun when I go home.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, SoCal is definitely nicer for pets. The dogs here have to deal with salty sidewalks, which can't be easy on their paws.

Betty Hechtman said...

Joanna, I know what you mean. I used to feel gloomy in the winter, too. But since living in SoCal and being able to be outside so much, I feel more cheerful.

Every time I go walking in the mountains and see how green they are in the winter, it seems to flood me with endorphins.

Monica Ferris said...

I get the winter blues. But on the other hand, I feel best in autumn, even late autumn when trees are naked and mud puddles get lacy edgings of ice and the geese fly in long strands overhead and the house smells of pumpkin pie. I like it even better than spring. Winter is the price I pay for autumn.

Betty Hechtman said...

I love your images, Monica. My favorite season in Chicago is autumn. I always think of the colors of all. The sky a crisp clear blue and the trees all reds and yellows.

The snow geese fly over my house in Tarzana every night. Their honking in the sky sounds wistful. I love to look up and watch the big V of them, usually with a straggler or two. They nest at night up in the mountains.

Victoria Hamilton said...

Winter is a great time to write... shut-in, nothing to do but dream up stories! I get more work done in January, February and March than the rest of the year!

Betty Hechtman said...

I can see your point, Victoria. It's certainly been true for me while I've been in Chicago.