Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Creating Wherever

I had some dental work done yesterday.  It involved sitting for a while in the dentist’s chair while he did some work in another room.   

I was tired. And bored.  And, hey, I really don’t like going to the dentist.  So... I decided to make use of the time.  I told my subconscious mind to get to work.

I’ve got a lot of writing projects in the works, so I don’t really need to come up with more ideas right now.  Even so, there’s this one concept that’s been batting at my mind.  Something I will write someday, even though the first incarnations I’ve come up with haven’t struck a chord in appropriate editors.   

Something that involves--what else?--dogs. 

Give up?  No.  It just means I need to find another approach, possibly for a genre or subgenre I’m not currently writing. 

And so, rather than nap or worry while sitting in that dentist’s chair, I let my subconscious do some mulling.

But--sigh--it didn’t immediately come up with the approach that’ll turn the idea into wonderful reality.  And then the dentist came back and finished up the tooth work.

Even so, the concept’s still there, percolating deep inside my mind even if it hasn’t yet erupted to the surface in an irresistible manner.  Someday... 

How about you?  Do you let your mind wander at odd times--and does it come up with the answers you’re looking for?

8 comments:

Mollie Bryan said...

Absolutely! I think "mind-wandering" is an important part of the writing process.Gweat post, Linda!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Mollie!

Janie Emaus said...

Driving and walking take my mind to all sorts of places. Of course, while driving, I do have to pay attention to where I'm going.

Katreader said...

Most definitely. I haven't been working on my mystery...I've even been slacking about writing my blogs. However, I came up with an idea for a new blog-one with a specific theme (cozy mysteries) only requiring 2 posts a week (and one of those is just saying what book I'm currently reading). The words are pouring onto paper and my mind is excited. I plan on having several posts already typed and ready to go before I publish the blog-so hopefully I'll stay on track. I'll get back to my book...but for now I'll go where my brain is taking me!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Yep, be careful when you're driving, Janie. When you're walking, too! But enjoy where your mind leads you.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds as if your brain is taking you to a fun blogging place, Katreader. Let us know when your blog is up! Maybe when you've gotten it started your other creative ventures will begin to bug your mind again, too.

Betty Hechtman said...

Here's what works the best for me. Just before I go to sleep, I tell myself to work on whatever and at the same time I believe it will work. When I get up in the morning, I take a pen and a yellow pad and just let go. Almost always the solution shows up on the paper.

Linda O. Johnston said...

My usual way is to let my subconscious go while I'm in the bathtub each night, Betty--but a dentist chair's a new pondering venue for me!