Saturday, June 2, 2012

Natural Remedy of the Week: Preventing Bug Bites & Easing That Itch





Summertime is here! And so are the bugs. When a mosquito, bee or ant bites you, the saliva of either insect causes a histamine reaction that results in an itchy welt. I have a nice backyard at my house in the country but plenty of bugs. So, when I want to enjoy the great outdoors without being bitten I use these natural cures for insect bites and to ease the itch. Best of all, they contain no nasty chemicals. In fact, one of the ingredients is lavender (a multi-purpose herb!), and it features prominently in the sequel to Death Drops: A Natural Remedies Mystery which is called Scent to Kill and will be out next February. Lavender is my favorite scent, along with roses. Anyway, here’s the recipe to ward off insects and more!

Essential Oil Remedy to Ward Off Insects
To ward away insects, try this herbal insect repellent:

2 ounces (60 ml) almond oil
5 drops of essential oil of eucalyptus
5 drops of essential oil of lavender
5 drops of essential oil of tea tree
5 drops of essential oil of citronella
5 drops of essential oil of rosemary
Mix together and apply liberally, avoiding the eyes and mucus membranes.  

Here are a few ideas to keep bugs from finding you an easy target:   

Taking 3 or 4 garlic capsules a day will make you an unappetizing host. 100 mg (50 mg for kids) of vitamin B complex taken orally creates a smell that many bugs don’t like.

Taking homeopathic Staphysagria may also prevent you from being bitten.   

Apply essential oils like cedarwood, citronella, lavender and tea tree oil to pulse points such as the wrists, behind the knees and behind the ears every hour or so to ward off bugs. You can also put essential oils like lavender, citronella, eucalyptus, geranium, rosemary and tea tree in a diffuser.

When you head out, tuck in your hair and shirts and socks so bugs can’t get to your skin.

Wear light colors like white, tan and light green because they are less attractive to bugs. Did you know that blue is the preferred color of mosquitos? Avoid floral prints as well (you don’t want to look like a flower!). Hair spray, perfume and shiny jewelry can also attract attention from the bug world.  

3 comments:

Carol S said...

Thank you for the bug-off info! Something about me is very attractive to mosquitoes, ticks and ants. My local health food store has an organic bug spray that is working, and she has these oils in stock so I can make my own now with your recipe. Love a few drops of lavender oil on my pillows at night.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I always know when my dogs have fleas, Chrystle, since they bite me just as much. I'm always diligent about the pups' flea repellants but this should help me, too. Thanks!

Chrystle Fiedler said...

Glad to help! I thought it would be a good topic for this time of year!