Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Get Out the Vote!

Michael, Faith, Sophie and Lawrence.  She is carrying a girl.  Will she name her Jessica, Katie, Abby or Tillie?

I am writing this Monday evening because tomorrow I am serving as an Election Judge at my local precinct.  I’ve done it before at a downtown precinct, and was glad to be able to transfer to a local – as in walking distance – location.  The biggest headache of the job is that it makes for an extraordinarily long day, from six in the morning until the polls close, and after because we have to count and process the votes, send them to the central tallying place, then tear down all the equipment and put it away.  I’ll probably get home around ten-thirty.  Minnesota will probably go blue, though it will be close.

Nationwide, I hope we have a clear winner, overwhelming any attempts at voter fraud.  Or worse, having it decided by the Supreme Court.

Which reminds me: Vote or don’t complain about how it turns out.

My husband brought home a fairly large plastic bag with the logo of a big-box store on it.  It’s my Christmas present.  Do I want to know what it is?  Well, yes, of course.  Only no, because then what would I open Christmas morning?  I’m on the horns of a dilemma, as they say.  If it’s what I think it is, then I would really like to have it now.  If it isn’t, then I could exchange it and get what I want before Christmas.  But I'm not a child, dying to open presents early.  What to do?

Have you ever noticed that when you go to your dentist to have your teeth cleaned, he pretty generally finds some work on them to be done?  And it’s costly.  That's what's happening to me.  I went yesterday, and tomorrow I need a crack filled and a thin spot layered up.  No wonder my dentist drives a Porsche!

Answer to riddle: Tilly.  She is using the musical scale to name her babies: Do, Re, Me, Fa, So, La, and now Ti.

4 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

I applaud you for serving as an election judge, Monica. Sounds worthwhile despite how time- consuming it is. And good luck deciding whether to learn what your present is now or later!

Beadknitter said...

I voted! Just wanted to let you know. Also wanted to tell you I was at a discount store called Tuesday Morning a couple weeks ago and fell in love with a hat. I'm not a hat kind of person, but this hat is so darned cute! I wore it today and I couldn't believe how much attention I got. Even men were walking up to me and telling me how attractive it is. I'm bowled over. We're friends on Facebook, so here's the link to a pic I took with my phone the day I bought it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4787480607109&set=a.2037581781357.125417.1298636740&type=3&theater

Monica Ferris said...

I cut off the first line of my post. It should read, Here's this weeks riddle: A pregnant woman has children named Donna, Regina, Michael, Fairh, Sophie, and Lawrence. She is carrying a girl. Will she name her Jessica, Katie, Abby or Tilly?

I served as election judge in a different place from previous years. There were more volunteers present and an extremely efficient boss. We were finished and out of there shortly after nine pm.

Now I'm going to go look at Beadknitter's hat. Sounds as if she's discovered how charming she looks in a hat!

Betty Hechtman said...

I can't believe the difference a day makes. Yesterday I was glued to the TV around now, and today it's all old news.