Thursday, November 29, 2012

The End is in Sight

I have been writing like crazy all day. It helps that it was gloomy and the light never changed, so until it got dark, I had no sense of the time. I am at the end of For Better or Worsted, but I still won’t be able to make my December 1 deadline. I have asked for a extra three weeks to rewrite and clean it up.

I always start with a pretty detailed synopsis, but I’m still always surprised at plot turns that seem to throw themselves in my path. Or characters I suddenly realize have a connection to other characters.

I’ve written 25 pages already today. It was one of those times when I got caught up in the action and just rushed to get it all down. When it’s like that, it’s like magic. Like I have tapped into this other universe and am eavesdropping on people who live there. The characters seem so real to me, even I am surprised.

Last night I finished sticking labels and stamps on the last of the 1900 If Hooks Could Kill postcards. It is nice to be done because now I can use a little of that time to crochet. The cool thing about crochet is that I really like the act of doing it, not just the finished product. Nice to enjoy the journey, not just the destination. It’s soothing, meditative, relaxing, and makes watching television not a waste of time.

I left Molly just at that moment when she realizes who did it. Better get back to work and help her round up the bad guy.

In addition to this blog, I’ll be blogging on Killercharacters.blogspot.com on December 6. It’s the characters who speak on Killercharacters, so actually it will be Molly blogging. There’s going to be a giveway for a copy of If Hooks Could Kill. To take part all you have to do is leave a comment on that blog, that day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see Molly's blog. I really like her though not happy with Barry leaving his dog with her so he can come over when ever he wants and the woman detective with Barry.
Does she ever get arrested in any of her endevors?

Planner said...

I didn't realize you help Molly find the bad guy! She has never mentioned that--not once!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I'm impressed, Betty. Writing 25 pages in a day is quite an accomplishment! I'm seldom that prolific.

Betty Hechtman said...

Doreen, Molly doesn't actually get arrested, more like detained. She's been handcuffed to a bench enough times that they know her.

Give Barry a chance. He goes through some changes.

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner; Molly would find a way to get in trouble even without my help.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda; I'm seldom that prolific either. It's amazing what a deadline will do to inspire you.

Monica Ferris said...

Twenty-five pages in a day is sensational. I quite understand how you can get caught up in the action and how you feel more like you're eavesdropping on real people than creative writing.

Monica Ferris said...

Twenty-five pages in a day is sensational. I quite understand how you can get caught up in the action and how you feel more like you're eavesdropping on real people than creative writing.

Betty Hechtman said...

Monica, it feels almost like you're a reporter taking down the action.