Friday, March 1, 2013

Window of Free Time

I finished the synopsis for Silence of the Lambs Wool before I left Chicago and sent it off through cyber space to my editor. Now, I have a breather until she either gives me a go ahead and I start on the manuscript or she wants me to change it and I have to come up with something new. And the copy edit of Yarn To Go is supposed to come in a week or so. And further ahead, the edits for For Better or Worsted, along with the next crochet mystery.

The good thing about all the deadlines is that the window of time without them feels so free. It is the whole thing about appreciating things because of contrast. Like weather. The snow in Chicago was magical and special because I don’t see it in Tarzana. And when I left Wednesday night and it was sleeting on the way to the airport, it made me appreciate even more getting home and walking into my yard with the sweet scent of the blooming daffodils.

Thursday morning, when I took my coffee out in the yard, I don’t think I would have appreciated the warm sun nearly as much if I hadn’t just come from cold gloom.

I feel similar about knitting and crocheting. It seems I appreciate each because of the differences between them. I am more comfortable crocheting, but there is something about the rhythm of knitting that is pleasing. Now that I have lost my fear of dropped stitches, I want to make something challenging or at least bigger than a wash cloth.

The time without writing deadlines might feel nice for a little while, but then I crave the excitement and challenge of them. There is something wonderful about giving yourself over to what your working on and watching with amazement as you rise to the occasion.

But in the meantime I’m going to enjoy watching the episodes of Southland I taped while I was gone and not feel like I should be doing something else.

5 comments:

Planner said...

Enjoy your breather! Congrats on meeting your deadline.

Personally, I could be very happy with warm weather and sunshine all the time, but I think you're right that contrasts can teach us appreciation.

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner, I just read that brightness raises people's serotonin level, so it's no wonder sunshine makes us all feel happier.

Linda O. Johnston said...

There's really no such thing as a breather for writers, Betty. I'm sure your mind is at work on new ideas even if you don't have to be writing or editing anything.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I spoke too soon about the breathing room. I just got the copy edit of Yarn To Go and and they need it back by next Friday.

Unknown said...

Very nice post. Contrast does make us appreciate things, doesn't it?