Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I've Reappeared!

Did anyone miss me?  I've been pretty much incommunicado for a couple of weeks.

I was on a cruise through the Panama Canal.  Now, I've taken cruises before, including through the Panama Canal, and most of the time the internet access is quite good onboard, even while we're far out at sea.

This time, that wasn't the case.

I'm not sure why, although the ship had a very nice and patient internet manager who helped get me into my email some of the time.  Apparently it didn't help my situation that my main Yahoo email account had some kind of pop-up blocker that the ship's system didn't like. 

But things did not work well for me for seeing blog posts and Googling information.  I gave up trying on the laptop I'd brought along and resorted to the computer lounge on the ship, and even that didn't solve it.

When I received an edited manuscript from Harlequin on which I needed to provide a quick turnaround, I almost panicked despite getting an extension--but that nice internet manager downloaded it for me.  I was then able to work on it on my laptop and, although I sent my comments in late, they weren't as late as they would have been otherwise.

Plus, I contacted my wonderful fellow Killer Hobbies bloggers and they chose a guest blogger for my spot last week.  Thanks particularly to Tracy Weber for setting it up--and thanks also to Gigi Pandian for guest blogging!

Was the trip fun?  Yes, although it was long.  I was with family and friends and saw some interesting places, including a scarlet macaw sanctuary in Costa Rica. 

But I admit I'm addicted to the internet.  As good as the trip was, I'm glad to be back!

How about you--have you been anywhere recently where your internet access was interrupted?  If so, how did you feel about it?

6 comments:

Whitney J said...

I went to Costa Rica in June 2013, and my host madre had no internet in her house. It was a huge adjustment, but was so rewarding. I could still access internet at the sports bar down the street (imagine carrying your laptop up a rocky hill to get internet), and at the local internet cafe (you have to pay for the internet. What???)
However, by the end of the trip, I was able to go without phone (that was out, too) and internet for over two weeks, and I hardly noticed!

Whitney

Linda O. Johnston said...

Wow, how fun to go back to the olden days in a way and not even notice it much, Whitney. I admire you. I did survive my lack of access, too, of course, and my only major issue was my need to edit that manuscript. But I have to say, now that I'm back, that I've dived right back in to my old internet habits, good and bad!

Betty Hechtman said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip even with the Internet problems. Great that you could get your manuscript and work on it. I love the idea of writing or editing on the road.

Tracy Weber said...

It was my pleasure to help out. Glad you had fun!

Linda O. Johnston said...

It was definitely a fun trip, Betty. And I'd intended to work while on the ship since we had a lot of sea days, so getting the manuscript worked out well.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Tracy!