Thursday, June 19, 2014






The countdown had begun. It is less than two weeks until SILENCE OF THE LAMB’S WOOL comes out. I have turned in all but one of my guest blog posts. My bookmarks are on the way to being ordered. There has been a problem with the resolution of the copy art, but I think it is worked out.

To complicate matters, I have jury duty that same week the book comes out. It doesn’t mean that I will actually be called in or end up on a jury, just that I have to be available all week and call in every night. I was on a jury a long, long time ago. It was before I had sold my first mystery story. It was interesting and much less perfect than what you see on TV. There were two defense attorney - public defenders who seemed pretty green and made lots of mistakes. And one day when we were waiting to go back into the court room, the defendant was standing right next to me and the rest of the jurors. Did I mention that though he was charged with robbery or was it burglary, he looked like he could kill someone with his bare hands. It just seemed wrong that he could be so close to us.

I wonder how my being a mystery writer would affect being picked as a juror.

To help promote SILENCE OF THE LAMB’S WOOL, I am going to put on a contest on Facebook just when the book comes out. I got the skinny on how to do it from some of my writer friends. It seems to be about getting people to share a post about the book. Then if they leave a comment, they are entered into a random drawing. There is even a website that will draw a random number for you, so no pieces of papers with numbers in a hat.

The prize or maybe prize -- I’m thinking of having a number of winners will be smart phone cases crocheted by me. I love the idea about being able to make the prizes. It makes it so personal. I plan to decorate them with crocheted flowers, too.

I have lots of deadlines and things to do, but I almost always crochet in the evening. The cell phone cases are a perfect project to work on.

I will post pictures next week.

4 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Good luck with jury duty, Betty. I used to love getting picked years ago when I was in law school! And your contest sounds great. I love the idea of handmade cell phone cases.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, so they picked you for a jury when you were in law school. I'm always curious how they decide who they want to keep and who they want to let go.

Planner said...

Congrats on your next book release! Casey must be super excited!

I hope jury duty doesn't end up interfering with your book promotion. I agree that it's fascinating to see who is chosen for a jury and who gets dismissed. Would the attorneys worry about a mystery writer's creative imagination?

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner, that is exactly what I wonder - would the attorneys be concerned about a writer making up a backstory and creat an ending.