Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Preparation For Sisters in Crime Meets Hollywood!


I'm attending the Sisters in Crime Adapting to Hollywood conference here in Los Angeles on April 1-3.  It's at the Universal Hilton, which isn't far from where I live, so of course I have to go! 

This week, I was asked to send a blurb for a story I might want to pitch.  I had to think about it, since I write, and have written, several mystery series that I think could make fun movies or even TV shows.  I've had occasional nibbles about them from screenwriters and others, but nothing has materialized, which doesn't surprise me. 

I decided to send a blurb about LOST UNDER A LADDER, my first Superstition Mystery, since I think it would be a fun background for a film, and producers could get a kick out of putting together its location, Destiny, California, which is all about superstitions. 

Of course I really like Knobcone Heights, California, too--the home of my Barkery & Biscuits Mysteries, which feature a barkery and bakery next door to one another. 

And then there are my Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mysteries and their spinoff Pet Rescue Mysteries.  They took place right here, in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley.  The Pet-Sitter Mysteries feature pets of different kinds, not just dogs--and I know those animals can be trained to be movie stars since I visited Universal Studios last week to see the new Harry Potter exhibits and also attended the Animal Actors show.  It featured not only dogs and cats but birds and pigs and guinea pigs... 

Okay, realistically, I know I'll have a lot of competition from the other Sisters in Crime who attend, as well as the existing competition from all other fiction writers, including those who write film scripts for a living.  But, heck, it won't hurt to learn more.

And, after all, it is kind of in my own backyard.

3 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

Good luck with your pitch!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Betty!

Kim Hornsby said...

Go for it!
I'll be there too but I'm on the waiting list to pitch. Do a great job for both of us!
Kim Hornsby