Monday, August 21, 2017

Casarecce with Sauteed Green Beans and Tomatoes

A couple of weeks ago I bought a pint of various small heirloom tomatoes. I thought they would make a tasty sauce, and decided to sauté shrimp with the tomatoes and serve with rice and green beans. I only needed the shrimp and planned to buy it on my way home from work.

Enter torrential rain, just after work when I got into my car. Good news: I was dry in the car. Bad news: I had no intention of getting soaking wet to buy the shrimp. I thought about what I had at home and decided I could get by without stopping at the grocery store.

I scored in the pantry with a box of Barilla Collezione Casarecce pasta. It's a long, twisted tube of pasta, and I thought it would echo the shape of the green beans. Since I already had the tomatoes and green beans. I could make this work.

Casarecce with Sautéed Tomatoes and Green Beans

1 box Barilla Collezione Casarecce (or other long tube pasta); Cook according to package directions; drain and dress with butter, salt and pepper; set aside and keep warm
1 pint tomatoes, cut into quarters lengthwise and seeded
1 bag Publix frozen steam-in bag green beans
1 1/2 t Garlic to taste (I used Gourmet Garden Chunky Garlic)
1 T Parsley (I used Gourmet Garden lightly dried)
1 T Basil (I used Gourmet Garden lightly dried)
1 T Extra virgin olive oil
1 T Butter
2 T Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
1/4-1/2 cup pasta water

Cook pasta according to package direction; reserve up to 1 cup pasta water, depending on how loose you like your sauce.

While the pasta water is coming up to boil, heat extra virgin olive oil in a sauté pan. Put the frozen green beans into the warmed oil, with salt and pepper. After the green beans are warmed through, add tomatoes. Heat through, and add pasta water in 1/4 cup increments. You want just enough water to keep the beans and tomatoes from sticking to the pan.

Add in garlic, parsley, and basil. Add butter, and toss all together. Add balsamic vinegar. Heat everything through, and add salt and pepper if needed.

To serve, plate the casarecce pasta. Put the green beans and tomatoes over the pasta.

This meal is easily rounded out with salad and bread; we had King's Original Hawaiian sweet rolls on hand, and they were delicious with this dish.


Let me know what you think about this recipe!


1 comment:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Wish I was more of a cook. That recipe sounds good!