Friday, September 15, 2017

Finding My Muse on the Treadmill

Last week I wrote about starting to use my treadmill again. I used to use it all the time before I started going to classes at my gym. This time around I discovered there are advantages that I hadn’t considered before and they actually have to do with writing.

Walking outside requires being vigilant about traffic, bumps in the sidewalk, wandering coyotes and other obstacles. It also means you have to be properly dressed, concerned about carrying a phone in case of emergencies, water and probably a snack bar, keys etc.

The gym classes required going to the gym which added on almost another hour of driving and getting there earlier enough to secure a space in the class. There was the issue of exercise wear. During the class, you have to be focused on keeping up with the others and moving in the same direction so you don’t end up punching someone (it happened once in a kick boxing class when the woman next to me didn’t keep to the direction the class was moving in and I socked her by mistake).

But with the treadmill, there is no worry about traffic or uneven sidewalks. Since it’s in my bedroom, no worries about proper attire or carrying anything. I don’t have to be concerned with dance steps or which way the person next to me is going.

Some people watch TV while they spend time on a treadmill. I’m all about the music. I’m old school and prefer to play CDs. I discovered our old big CD player doesn’t work, but I have a little twenty dollar number which fits the bill just fine. Since I’m home, I don’t have to worry about my music bothering anyone. The music and the monotony walking on a moving belt totally frees my mind.

It is probably the opposite of mindfulness. I forget about where I am and what I’m doing and thoughts whirl through my head. Characters appear before me and start talking. Plot idea show up out of the ethers. Solutions to life problems appear. Endorphins kick in and I feel myself smiling. The time melts and by the time I’ve walked for about an hour, I have all kinds of useful material.

And when I’m done, I’m done. I don’t have to drive home. No, I can go straight to my computer and start typing in all those thoughts.

4 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

Your muse sounds great ! I can get into that state while sitting at my computer playing solitaire, or even working a nice 1000 piece puzzle. My mind wanders to other places !

Linda O. Johnston said...

The treadmill sounds great! It stimulates rather than interrupting your plotting. I've been considering bringing out my long-unused exercise bike again... maybe soon.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda Osborn, it's amazing how solutions to problems pop up when your mind is in that state.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda O. Johnston,

The exercise bike is even better because you don't have to worry about going off the end of the treadmill.