Friday, June 22, 2018

Still Learning

It figures, it’s the first day of summer and jacket weather in Chicago.  I’m not complaining.  It was a millions times better than the awful heat a few days ago.  I stayed inside with everything closed up trying to keep what little bit of cool was inside.  By the time the heat broke, it was 89 degrees in my living room and that was with one air conditioner pumping in cool air from the back of the apartment along with numerous fans.

When the sky is this gloomy and I need to turn on lights during the day, it is hard to judge the time.  It’s like the whole day looks the same until it fades to night.

Somebody said it on facebook -- writing is a sitting business.  I keep having to remind myself to get up every hour or so and walk up and down the long hall a few times as try to finish this rewrite.

I have finally developed a more casual relationship with my laptop.  I no longer have to work with it plugged in which means I’m mobile. It finally got through to me that the battery works for a long time.  Nor do I have to have it sitting on a table, in my lap is just fine.  I also stopped treating it like it was so fragile.  I just leave it where I leave it without too much concern. This morning I had a thought about something I wrote last night and all I had to do was grab my MacBook off the couch where I left it, sign in and my manuscript was in front of me.

I’m still not happy with the way Mac shows files but I’ve mostly made friends with Word for Mac.  Whenever I find myself grumbling, I think back to carbon paper, and typewriter erasers that tore the paper.  Even when I had an electric typewriter and used correction tape and Liquid Paper it was a pain.   One small correction could mean pages of retyping.  Now I can try on sentences like clothes in a store dressing room.  If I don’t like it, I don’t have to keep it.


The big news is that Amazon is running a one day promotion on June 25, offering the Kindle edition of ON THE HOOK for $1.99.

1 comment:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Yikes--getting used to a new computer is always challenging. Congrats on doing so well with yours. And congrats also on your upcoming Amazon promotion!