Wednesday, June 27, 2018

The Good and the Bad




I've been working on ideas, including fleshing some out in rough drafts of proposals--and sometimes just concepts so far.  But I have been plotting and writing and enjoying being a writer.  Plus, I was on a delightful panel last weekend for the Orange County Chapter of Sisters in Crime.  It was moderated by Maddie Margarita, and my fellow panelists were Anne Cleeland and Patricia Smiley.

But yesterday was rather sad.  My husband and I visited around five Toys R Us and Babies R Us stores in our area because we were looking for a bargain on some car seats for our grandsons.  All of the stores were sold out of what we were looking for, but we did buy some toys for the guys.  But the whole shopping expedition was depressing, since all the stores are closing in a couple of days.

Being who I am, I'm thinking of how I might use some of this in one of the stories I'm plotting which does involve some stores, but I do feel bad about the reality, and all the nice employees we spoke with, and the landlords, and--well, everyone connected with the bankruptcy of the company.  I saw on-line that someone else is considering a way to save it, but that apparently would involve reopening some stores rather than keeping them open--if it materializes.

I'm considering going shopping again soon--but only visiting some shops that I think are destined to hang around for a while!  And maybe I can use some of that in my story, too.

2 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

It made me sad about ToyRUs, too.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I saw a lot of news stories about the company's last couple of days, and that only added to my regret that the stores were closing.