Thursday, December 20, 2018

Missing the Season Anticipation

The first two weeks of December, we've been traveling. Two weeks in Florida, with one of those weeks in Disney World with my family (minus our son since he was in his final week of the police academy, unfortunately, the trip was booked and everyone else's vacation applied for and approved before we knew he'd be in the academy that week). We had a great trip, and I loved seeing Disney all done up for the holidays, but I have to admit I missed all my "regular" holiday traditions/preparations.

Because we would be gone the first two weeks of December, my husband and I agreed to pare down the holiday decorations and our ornament exchange party preparations. Usually, we go all out (love doing it) but didn't want to overwhelm or stress ourselves out. Actually, I had wanted to forgo our annual party but my oldest and some friends told us it was one of their traditions they look forward to every year, and we didn't want to disappoint anyone. So, this year, I accepted the help offered me rather than doing it all myself, which I insist on doing every year. It was nice not having to prepare all the food myself, though I did make missing Christmas cookies.

Baking is one of the things I'm missing most. Every year, the day before the holiday party, I blast Christmas music and bake away. I usually have about five different types of cookies available, one a new recipe. This year, I made "easy" chocolate chip cookies...the pre-made cookie dough that you tear off the squares and put them on the cookie sheet. I plan on making a thumbprint cookie with lavender jelly for Christmas Eve so I can get my baking fix.

The anticipation of Christmas Day is what I miss most. We were so busy during our vacation and now that I'm playing catch up on editing and other projects, I find the days are speeding time and I don't have the time to reflect and enjoy. Watching Christmas movies. Reading Christmas books. Looking at the lights. This year, everything just seems rushed.

While I love traveling, I don't think I'll be planning December trips very often. Or if I do, they'll be shorter so we have time for all the small, everyday things that make the holiday special for us.

No comments: