Friday, February 8, 2019

I'll Keep What I have

The rain finally ended – for a couple of days at least. At long last we seem to be having a normal winter here in Southern California. My yard I is happy with all the moisture and has a nice covering of green. The paper whites seem to have finished their bloom, but now there are lovely yellow jonquils. They have a faint, but lovely scent.

The sun may be out, but it is cold for us. No, it’s not anything close to the polar vortex. The truth is that the temperature didn’t get out of the 50s today. I could feel the cold coming off my kitchen window when I had my morning coffee.

I went to my knit and crochet group this morning. They are all far more accomplished than I am and had brought in hats, baby dresses and adorable sweaters for us to admire. I’m making another cowl as I try to use up yarn and make something quick and that I like at the same time. One woman turns out a huge amount of finished projects and one of the other women asked her how many hours a day she spent crocheting. She said that other than the time she spent cooking and cleaning, she crocheted. Another woman commented that she knitted in much the same manner and then she said all she was time with a sigh in her voice.

I just listened because I am in such a different place. All I have is more to do than time to do it in. I am constantly flitting from one task to another. A lot are related to our family business and not very interesting to talk about. But there are challenges of learning The good part is that I am constantly stretching my mind learning how to do new things. It’s a bummer when I’m struggling, but super elation when I succeed.

There are times when I wish I didn’t have so much on my plate, but then I think of the sigh in that woman’s voice and I picture a home that’s perfectly neat and perfectly quiet. I see her sitting there knitting as the sun gets low in the sky. All very nice, but not very exciting.

I’ll keep my chaos.

No comments: