Friday, April 19, 2019

Another Serendipity Day

I had another serendipity day.  I went to my knit and crochet group in the morning as I'd expected to do.  I had intended to spend the afternoon working on the next Yarn Retreat book.  I'd left Casey on a whale watching trip on a boat in Monterey Bay and I wanted to finish the scene.  I had notes for it and everything.

I had other work to attend to.  Boring stuff like paying bills and other paperwork.  It was a beautiful day.  Warm and clear.  The kind of day when it's great to be outside, so when an offer came to go to The Huntington, or as I call it Huntington Gardens, it didn't take must twisting to get me to agree.

It's located in Pasadena.  I love riding through Pasadena looking at all the interesting houses.  It is such a different area from the rest of L.A. and the Valley.  The streets are lined with tall old trees and  it has the feeling of a town somewhere else.

Weekdays aren't busy at The Huntington and we had the place largely to ourselves.  It matches what I think Heaven must look like.  It's all rolling green lawns, fragrant flowers and lots and lots of trees.  There are exotic gardens and ponds with big turtles and koi fish.  My favorite spot is a canyon between the Japanese and Chinese gardens.  I ended my stat  sitting on a bench enjoying the view in the Chinese garden.  Snow geese frolicked in the water which I suppose is considered a small lake. 

Afterwards we stopped at a coffee place we'd passed on the drive in.  It had an industrial feel and in the midst of all the tables was a large red coffee roaster.  While we drank our cold brews, we watched a batch of green coffee beans go in the roaster and a short time later come with a soft brown color.

We found it funny that everyone working there seemed very serious.  The guy keeping tabs on the coffee grinder never cracked a smile.  Nor did the girl with green hair who was manning the espresso machine.  The menu was all lattes and cappuccinos with not one ice blended party drink , 

We went back on the scenic route that led us between green mountains that seemed empty of civilization.  And then instead of going home and attending to my work, I ended up out to dinner in a frantic restaurant. 

When I finally got home and tried to at least pay some bills online, I got a message that their website wasn't working at the moment.  What could I do, but call it a night.

1 comment:

Linda Osborn said...

Is there a possible release date on the yarn book ? If you get off the whale boat that is ! How about crochet ? Your loyal fans like dates to look forward to !