Wednesday, June 12, 2019

California Crime Writers Conference


The California Crime Writers Conference was last weekend.  I'm sure it's not surprising that I attended it, since I've mentioned it here before.  And yep, I'm a California crime writer!


The official schedule didn't begin until Saturday, I think, although there were things happening on Friday, too.  I was commuting there, to the Doubletree Hotel in Culver City, and had no interest in undertaking Friday traffic, so I just went on Saturday and Sunday.  And, thanks to it being the weekend, traffic wasn't bad--especially on Sunday morning when it hardly took me any time at all to drive there from the San Fernando Valley.


Enjoyable conference! People of all levels of mystery writing attended, from very dedicated wannabes to some big names--like Tess Gerritsen and Catriona McPherson.  There were quite a few panels of all kinds relating to mystery writing, plus speeches and lunches and even cookie breaks.  Also booksellers and signings and prizes. Agents and editors, too. And plenty of coffee.


The panel I was on related to having a long-time career, and Tess Gerritsen was on it, too. It was fun meeting her.  I enjoyed it the panel a lot but don't think I gave dogs enough credit for my career when I spoke, so I wouldn't have minded a do-over.  I'd imagine, if you're reading this post and know who I am, you're aware of the importance of dogs in my life and in my stories.


Like the locally-held romance conference California Dreamin', the California Crime Writers Conference is held every other year.  Both of them always occur in the same year, which has contributed to my over-active conference attendance this year--and it's not over yet.


But I definitely enjoyed the CCWC and will look forward to the next one, in 2021!


No comments: