Friday, February 21, 2020

It's All Happening at the Zoo



Last week I was consumed with finishing MURDER INK.  I lost track of time and the days melted.  I finished it and sent it off on Sunday. Now I wait to hear what my editor thinks.

So, now it’s time to take a short breather and read.  When I’m in the throes of finishing a manuscript I tend to stay away from reading since I feel like it’s time I should be spending writing.

Ever since I got my Kindle Paperwhite I started paying attention to the BookBub offerings.  A week or so ago, I got a book called When, The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing by Daniel Pink.  He happens to have the same last name as one of my characters, but that’s not why I like the book.  It’s all about how our judgement and abilities are affected by the time of day.  The point is to plan things according to where you’re going to be in your day.

I certainly found it was true last night when I tried to write my blog.  My fingers just sat on the keys with no inspiration to punch out any words.  I could feel that my mind was dull.  To tired to think much. 

I tried.  I really tried to get something going, but it wouldn’t.  But then I’d add another serendipty day.  I had planned to spend it on starting on the next projects I have which turns out to be three books in the next six months.  I had other things to attend to that are part of life like laundry and bills and cleaning the floor.  But it all changed when my grandson came over and a trip to the zoo was in the works.  Exercise is good and the zoo is a great place to get it.  The Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Garden is draped around the mountains in Griffith Park.  There are views of green ridges covered in damp haze.  Trees and flowering plants are everywhere.  The city is forgotten and it’s quiet except for the lions roaring when it’s dinner time.

Of course, going with a three-year-old I filled with pushing a stroller up a hill and rushing down a hill to catch up with a toddler on the loose.  Afterwards we went to IKEA for food.  It’s a toddler fun zone.  There’s a cart with trays for him to push through the cafeteria line.  And then a table by the window with a fabulous view of the mountains of Griffith Park, the freeway with creeping traffic (it was rush hour), Metrolink trains rushing by and  the sky turning pretty colors as the sun set.  He liked the view of the desserts on the cart of trays pretty well, too.

This morning it’s easy to write about my day, but last night there wasn’t a chance.  Timing is everything.  By the way KNOT ON YOUR LIFE is going to be a BookBug selection on March 12.  Tell your friends!

3 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

You are such a lucky grandma ! l have such wonderful memories of days at the zoo, Disneyland, beach, etc., with my grandchildren. Unfortunately the evil arthritis menace has hit my knees, and l can't do all that walking and chasing anymore. Enjoy Jake and his daddy as much as you can. Fans are waiting for books, but we all know where your real priorities need to be !

sink dish washing said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda O. Johnston said...

I love the zoo!