Friday, August 28, 2020

The Murder House

 It’s always something.  About a month ago, we noticed that a part of our yard was suddenly  like a swamp.  I figured it was something with the sprinklers and called our plumber.  He found a pipe in the ground that had been broken into by a root of one of the redwood trees at the back of our yard.  He replaced it and also replaced the shut off things for the sprinklers.  In no time I expected the swamp would dry up.

But it didn’t.

After two weeks it was as muddy as ever with standing water, so the plumber came back.  The only thing he figured  could be the problem was the spot where the sprinkler line went into the ground, so he shut that off.  I had stopped running all the sprinklers in the yard, hoping the swamp would go away. There were days with the temperature over 100 and even though the swamp was in a shady spot, it seemed it should dry up.

I waited a few days and checked again.  I was shocked to see that the swamp had grown larger and I could actually see water flowing.  I watched wasps landing in the water and imagined mosquitos breeding in the puddles. I heard they’d found West Nile fever in mosquitos not too far away.

The plumber came back and together we looked at the spot in the yard.  He was perplexed. There was clearly no water coming from our sprinklers to be making the swamp.  And then he asked if it could be coming from the yard behind us. It didn’t look like it.  The wet area was pretty clearly defined in our yard, or so it seemed.  When he checked the ivy that grows at the base of the redwood trees, he found mud.  Then he went over to the house to check out what was going on.

The house behind us is at the end of cul du sac.  I don’t know the owners, but I do have a relationship with their house.  A developer bought the land and knocked down the small house that had been there and built a hill and put one of the two story 5000 square foot farmhouse style dwellings on it that have become so popular lately.  Because of the hill they created in the backyard, the house loomed over the white vinyl fence they put up.  If it hadn’t been for the redwood trees and torrey pine trees we planted years ago, all the privacy of our backyard would have been lost.  Needless to say I wasn’t thrilled about it.  But I found a way to make use of it and while the house was being built I used it for the murder house in HOOKING FOR TROUBLE. When it was put up for sale, I went to the very first open house anxious to see in person the place I had imagined.  It was downright strange to see the patio off the master bedroom where I had the murder take place.

So, when the plumber came back and reported that the water was indeed coming from their yard and gave me the name and number of the owner, I had this weird feeling that I had secret knowledge of their house. It felt even weirder when he told me the problem seemed to be with the pool.  That pool had a big part in HOOKING FOR TROUBLE.  Molly and Barry had a big scene hanging out next to it.

I never let on to the neighbor that I had spent so much imagined time by that pool as I texted back and forth with her about the leak.  But I had my own personal giggle thinking about it.  And just like that the next day the leak was fixed and the swamp changed from  puddles of flowing water to wet dirt.  The wasps went looking for water somewhere else.  Hopefully any mosquito larvae dried up.  The swamp area was very green, but the rest of our yard was parched from not getting watered in weeks.

I turned the automatic timer for the sprinklers back on and life returned to normal.  And  the neighbor has no idea that she’s living in a murder house.

9 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

Of course we readers remember that house well--great setting for murder. I have always wondered if Molly's house might be based on your own home. Such a good layout for Molly and all the kids and pets--and Barry sneaking into her bed on his way home from work ! You make good use of you surroundings.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I like using real places. In book 14, Molly's house gets a lot of action.

Linda Osborn said...

Will we see the new book you started--based in Chicago I believe. I remember you did have to get it out on a deadline. Of course two story lines keeps you pretty busy already.

Lately they have not been making me do the robot thing

Betty Hechtman said...

The first book in the Writer for Hire series comes out in the UK in November and in the US in 2021. It's called Murder Ink and is already on Amazon. I still have to finish the second book, Writing a Wrong. I also have another Yarn Retreat book to write. It does keep me busy.

Interesting that it's not asking if you're a robot. It might be that it recognizes you.

chkntza said...

I am reading my way through your books and I haven't got there yet but I am looking forward to reding the books with this story in mind. I hope the bees left you. I live in an apartment and some bees got in I don't know how. It was so scary to hear them buzzing to get out. I think they were hornets. Someone at the bee society told me to spray them with windex so that is what I did. I also have very clean windows.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, As soon as the puddles disappeared so did the wasps. The worst is when you get a bee or wasp in the car. It happened once when I was driving my mother and son someplace and I got stung. There was nothing to do but keep going. Glad you got the benefit of clean windows.

chkntza said...

I'm so glad the wasps disappeared from your yard. I have been bee/wasp free for a month now and I'm happy. I've also had bees in the car. I opened all the windows and drove until they left. I'm so sorry to hear you got stung.

Linda O. Johnston said...

It's always enjoyable to use a location that is, or resembles, one that's real. Fun that you have a nearby murder house!

jolene gilman said...

My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr Ebhota herbal mixture. I felt there was no hope for my health and I was doubtful to try the Protocol thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by my friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of HPV/WART. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, and since I have be taking it for less than 3 days I have less outbreak. But within one week i was fully cured from WART/HPV. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great herb doctor contact with you all email him drebhotasolution@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348089535482. Pls try and help yourself out of warts completely today. he also c My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr Ebhota herbal mixture. I felt there was no hope for my health and I was doubtful to try the Protocol thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by my friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of HPV/WART. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, and since I have be taking it for less than 3 days I have less outbreak. But within one week i was fully cured from WART/HPV. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great herb doctor contact with you all email him drebhotasolution@gmail.com o r whatsapp +2348089535482. Pls try and help yourself out of warts completely today. he ure DIABETIES ULCAL CANCER etc.He also told me that he has solution for the flowing.1 Cancer cure2 Diabetes cure3 Ringing ear4 Herpes cure5 Warts cure6 HPV cure7 Get your ex back8 Pregnancy herbal medicine9 Prostate enlargement10 Hepatitis B11 Disability12 Kidney problem Etc.