Friday, June 3, 2022

A Day Away

 Sometimes you just need to take a break.  I got an extra week for SENTENCED TO DEATH  and it was the last day for Disneyland before our passes were blacked out for the summer.  The added bonus was it was going to be just me, my grandson and my son.  

 I packed up a hard copy of the section of the manuscript and stuffed it in my backpack.  We picked Jakey up from pre-school and headed for Anaheim.

 My son was all excited talking about rides to go on, but Jakey didn't share his enthusiasm.  It turned out that he was to be carted around in the Jakey 2000 which he named his umbrella stroller and look at Disneyland.  When I asked him if he wanted to go on the riverboat, he said "not particularly."  It turns out he is more about amusing himself and spent a long time in the play area of California Adventure.  I couldn't blame him.  It was full of wonderful pine trees and slides and zip lines.

A very big thrill was meeting Spiderman and getting a photo with him.  He loved the fireworks and the stop at the Lego store on the way to the parking lot.  When I asked him his favorite thing, it was the Lego store.

The craziest thing at Disneyland is seeing kids in strollers looking at something on phones or tablets.  All the stuff going on isn't enough?

I managed to go through my pages and walked over 5 miles while Jakey rode in the Jakey 2000.  The best part was getting away from the computer was really good.  There was a problem with the pages I was working on and as soon as I put them away and started walking, the answer how to fix them appeared like magic.

4 comments:

chkntza said...

It sounds like all had a god time at Disneyland. It's so interesting how different kids like to do different things. A nice walk usually helps with problem solving. I'm glad it worked for you.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, it really did help. I just finished the manuscript and sent it off. And now to deal with the mountain of stuff that I was putting off.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Doesn't hurt to get some exercise that way, at Disneyland and with your grandson. And glad the way to fix your manuscript just happened to magically appear at Disneyland!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I'm sure you know that stepping away from your work for a while has good results.