Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Rain!

          It’s been raining in L.A.! And it has been, on and off, for a while. When I first moved here quite a few years ago from Pittsburgh, the rainy season was definitely rainy, but that wasn’t the case in most recent years. This year, though it has rained a lot. In fact, when I was watching the early morning news on TV yesterday, I saw that part of a street very nearby was flooded. My husband and I even managed to dodge the raindrops for a while, more or less, yesterday morning and take our dogs on a walk to that area to take a look. Lots of cars had their wheels covered by water, and I’m not sure how much water got inside the hillside houses. I heard the residents were supposed to shelter in place. I’m definitely not happy about that situation, but I’m hoping that enough of the rain is being taken into nearby reservoirs and absorbed by the ground that our extremely dry environment will be much better for a long time. 

And the dogs in rain? They don’t seem bothered by it at all when we’re on our walks, but when we put them outside in the covered dog run at the side of our house during the days rather than letting them run and get muddy in the yard, they don’t seem too happy about getting their paws wet. 

I’m hanging out inside a lot, partly because of the rain. It’s also partly because I got my edits on my--or Lark O. Jensen's--next Alaska Untamed Mystery, CRY WOLF. I was given a very tight deadline, so I need to keep working. It’s fun rereading it after turning it in several months ago, even though I have to concentrate on getting the edits right too. That’s part of the process of writing, of course. Meanwhile, I’ve put the other projects on hold that I’ve been working on.  But getting back involved with the mystery my protagonist Stacie Calder and her dog Sasha need to solve is definitely enjoyable. 

The sound of rain on the roof and skylights is quite rhythmic and doesn’t affect my concentration—much. Okay, rain. Keep on coming—for now.

8 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning -- Are you about to build an ark? California is really getting hit hard with bad weather. We lived in Sacramento for many years and my son still has lots friends there. He's been getting pictures from them -- horrible. Several have told him that huge trees have fallen on some of the old Victorian homes, doing extensive damage.

My daughter, who still lives in California, has a little chihuahua who hates wet feet -- he tries to tiptoe on wet grass -- funny sight.

I haven't done much reading lately -- been doing a lot of crocheting. My grandma taught me when I was eight years old and I'm three months away from 86 now so I've been doing it for a long time. I try to make one baby blanket a week and have been doing that for at least 45 years -- that's a lot of yarn. Most of them are given to various children's groups. And, of course, I make lots of gifts for family and friends -- keeps me busy and off the streets, as I tell my kids!!

Take care -- keep safe.

Sally Morrison said...

I've been watching CA on the news. Quite incredible. How they can get it to the right places. It's good to have projects for those days we need to stay in. Seems like they happen a lot these days for one reason or another. Hope you stay dry and get lots done. Good to have your doggies for company. And your husband of course.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Hadn't considered building an ark, Patty. And though where we are is wet, and my husband has to keep redoing things in our basement to keep the water out, we're in relatively good shape--except for getting Roxie happy about walking on wet cement and gravel to do her thing. Like your daughter's chihuahua, she doesn't like getting her feet wet.

Sounds like you're very creative and busy with your crocheting. I'm sure your family and friends are delighted with the gifts. Although writer me would also like for you to read too!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I'd like to think that at least some of the water will be captured and made available when it gets dry again here, Sally. It does seem strange to have our area featured on the news that way--and to see so many nasty things occurring because of the rainfall. And yes, I'll keep on working, and certainly appreciate the company of my pups and husband!

Patty said...

I just ordered "Teacup Turbulence" from Amazon -- read an excerpt and it seems like a good one. So I will be reading!!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Patty. I certainly hope you enjoy it!

Betty Hechtman said...

I saw that flooded area and wondered if it was near you. Glad it wasn't a problem for you.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Betty. I've heard they're going to tow the cars that are still stuck there and then clean the mud off the street. Hope things don't get worse with the upcoming rain.