Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Gotcha!

 

            Later this week is Roxie’s Gotcha Day. She’s our younger Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who theoretically is no longer a puppy since she turned one year old a few weeks ago. 

            Not sure I’ve kept track of my other Cavaliers’ Gotcha Days. It’s the anniversary of when you bring a dog home. I think it’s used mostly when shelter dogs are adopted, particularly since their actual birthdays might not be known. But since Gotcha Day is the official adoption day it can be used for pups acquired from breeders too. 

            Anyway, I’m delighted that this mischievous puppy is now our younger dog. She gets along fine with Cari, our older Cavalier. I could probably figure out Cari’s Gotcha Day too, but she’s six years old and we haven’t been celebrating it before. 

            So on Thursday I’ll be writing as usual—but will also take even more time to play with Roxie when she demands it by staring at me, then looking down at a toy and back up again. Or if she’d rather lie on my lap as I write, as she often does, I’ll enjoy that too. 

            And unsurprisingly, I’ll be writing about dogs then too. I’m still working on my fourth Shelter of Secrets book for Harlequin Romantic Suspense, and it partly takes place at a doggy daycare center as well as that very special animal shelter where people are taken in too, for their protection.

6 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning -- Happy Gotcha Day to Roxie!! My daughter celebrates that with Scooty, her chihuahua/Jack Russell terrier. She's had him about six years -- she went to Petsmart to get some cat food, there was a pen of little dogs. She stepped in with the dogs, just to look, and Scooty crawled into her purse. She had to take him home!! He got a wonderful home.

Summer has arrived in Phoenix -- it was 96 yesterday, 98 predicted for today. I scheduled the yearly a/c check-up last week when the weather was cooler -- perfect timing -- the tech comes today. This is my take-care-of-everything week -- a/c, dentist and yearly doctor visit. I am, thank goodness, very healthy -- haven't had so much as a sniffle in years.

Enjoy your dogs, and your writing -- I continue to do a lot of crocheting.

Sally Morrison said...

Having a pet is wonderful. I'm so looking forward to bringing home my new kitten when she is ready to leave mom. I see her often and she is adorable. Happy Gotcha Day to you and Roxie.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Roxie says thanks, Patty! And it sounds as if your daughter did a great job adopting a new family member--who adopted her too.

Stay cool and healthy!

Linda O. Johnston said...

How fun that you've met your new kitten, Sally! And thanks.

Betty Hechtman said...

Happy Gotcha day Roxie. Temporarily remembering what it's like to having a dog after just having cats for a number of years. I woke up at 3 in the morning and realized family member hadn't taken her on her late night walk. Got up and took her out in the yard and gave her a treat so she would be good until morning.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Our pups sleep in our bedroom and sometimes wake us up in the middle of the night to go outside, Betty!